Author Topic: Battle for Africa  (Read 1346 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Battle for Africa
« on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
New DW coming! Or at least one box set, but sounds like models for all factions...

http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/dystopian-wars-frontline-despatches/
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:40:30 pm »
Funny, I've actually been wondering for a bit what the next thing is for Dystopian Wars. They fleshed out the model range very nicely for land, sea, and air for all the major and minor factions, I think. Advancing the timeline and opening a new theater in the war is an interesting direction for Spartan to take (although that write-up did sound a bit like "in the grim dark past, there is only war"). Advancing the timeline could introduce new, more advanced versions of the current ships (not necessarily even the same hulls, but for example new battleships for the later period). This could mean that games could be played along the timeline--using older or newer ships.

And I'm all for opening a new front, especially if it's Africa. I think Spartan has a real opportunity to shine here with their proven ability to design great models. This could also be an excuse for them to debut new factions and maybe make the land forces side of Dystopian Wars more interesting. Think about it: Africa is a vast continent with many types of terrain, and factions based in the interior would need to have good land and air forces. Given some of the large lakes and rivers in the continent's interior, they could also introduce riverine and freshwater naval forces (there is historical precedent for this).

What I hope they don't do, however, is "carve up" Africa using the current major and minor powers. That's a little too close to actual history. It would be much more interesting, and more fitting in the Dystopian Wars alternate history timeline, to have actual Africa-based factions. These could be major powers, but it might be more compelling for them to be a collection of minor powers that band together to fight off the invaders. I'm thinking desert raiders from a Sahara-based faction, excelling at speed and quick strikes (like LoIS ships, but on land); towering landships with lots of supporting tanks for factions based on the plains of East Africa; walkers that can stride across the jungles of the continent's center. Maybe some land vehicles based on hippos or elephants, like we've seen already with the Raj.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:08:15 am by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:31:36 pm »
I'm glad to see that they are advancing the timeline for the Dystopian war. It will be interesting to see where they take that with the stats for the new models. Historically, the material and training that nations start a long war with often end up outclassed when compared to what is in use when the war finishes. Thus, we would expect the forces employed after 5 years of Sturgenium-fueled warfare would be quite different than what started with it! I can see room here for a Flames of War-style time period system ;).

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:09:26 pm »
I'm glad to see that they are advancing the timeline for the Dystopian war. It will be interesting to see where they take that with the stats for the new models. Historically, the material and training that nations start a long war with often end up outclassed when compared to what is in use when the war finishes. Thus, we would expect the forces employed after 5 years of Sturgenium-fueled warfare would be quite different than what started with it! I can see room here for a Flames of War-style time period system ;).

That's a good point, Ruckdog. Just compare the Brewster Buffalo to the Vought Corsair!

Part of me kind of hopes this "foray into Africa" will breath some life into Dystopian Legions. I've really enjoyed what little I played of that game, and land warfare in Africa would be a perfect setting. They could even take a page or two from the DeepWars rulebook and give us rules for wild animals!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »
Or refitted engines and weapons for increased costs, especially with larger vehicles and ships.

Whether available for one off games or limited to campaigns.
If limited to campaigns maybe they should only become available after being unlocked via campaign conditions.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:26:17 pm by Fracas »
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Sailion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:27 pm »
Well happy to see Dystopian wars getting some attention too, last time played was back when was in Essex before moved up north. Um, the Africa campaign looks quite fun and was nice to see some new renders.

Shaun

World of warships: Sailion (EU)

Firestorm armada:
- Directorate
- Hawker industries, Ryushi & Terquai
- Works Raptor
- Syndicate

Dystopian wars:
- Denmark
- Polish & Lithuian
- French
- Italians