Author Topic: Interest in the land game?  (Read 2208 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Interest in the land game?
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:55:39 pm »
So with all the discussion of DW plans for Tacticon 2016 in Colorado Springs, I've been pulling out my FSA and RoF land models, which I haven't looked at in years and never really got around to painting. Some of the model designs are OK, some are kinda ugly (like the original FSA medium tanks).

I know we're primarily a naval wargaming forum here (although there ARE landships :) ), but I wanted to pitch the question--does anyone here at MBS play the land variant of Dystopian Wars? Ruckdog and I played a few games some years back that were primarily land-based, but I think I've only used the land-based models as scenery since then.

And if you do play, what are your thoughts on the system? Does it translate over pretty easy from the naval game?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in the land game?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »
With the newest ORBATs almost every land model has 360 degree movement. I guess that was quite a change.

hypnotini

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:34:32 am »
I have an Alamo that u saw me buy the other day lol but I don't have any land models it was the least appealing to get at the time but I'm willing to be proved its fun :-D

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:19 am »
I prefer land and sea integrated games, or just sea games of DW. But a pure land game can make use of some of the more absurdly large models, and cool stuff like all the Robots (not all of which work well at sea). In fact, my next major planned DW purchase will center on the Templar Order robots box set, and I plan to work out Infantry rules (finally!)

Also, we can only do Martian scenarios using the land game, and gotta keep those going!

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »
I haven't played a ton of pure land games, but the ones I have played have been fun. Biggest thing is that air power can be a bit overwhelming, so that has to be looked after. Also, Bombards! Never leave home without them ;).  Like Dale, I love the idea of running combined land-sea-air games, so most of the time I've used land units it has been in that context (like the Operation Watchtower campaign I ran for Landlubber and Draefli a few years back).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:29:11 pm by Ruckdog »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 05:49:39 pm »
Well, I'm going to get as much of my land stuff painted up before the con in September. Might be worth trying to play a land game prior to the con, just to get used to it. Maybe a Martian fight sometime in August?

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 06:35:24 pm »
There are some GREAT looking land minis.  I have nearly full lines from all seven major factions if anyone wants to take a good look at them or give them a whirl.  Non-painted, of course. 

Actually played them twice, Russian vs Prussian and COA vs France.  I enjoyed them as much as I do the naval/aerial battles.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:22:13 am »
There are some GREAT looking land minis.  I have nearly full lines from all seven major factions...

Why oh why does this not surprise me??  :P

Mark, let's see if we can't get them on the table at some point this summer.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »
I'm game.  Maybe an armored/aerial combined force action?