Author Topic: Weather Rules 2.0  (Read 1213 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Weather Rules 2.0
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:35:36 pm »
My previous effort is WAY overdesigned in hindsight (you'd think I was a historical gamer...but I'm not).
Here's a new approach. Sorry if tables don't translate well. I have a word doc available on request.
Feedback welcome.

Overall Weather Rules :
The following Rules are completely optional per both player’s agreement. Players may also pick certain starting conditions or weather-terrain to add flavor or enhance a scenario. But once agreed to start using Weather, a player cannot “opt out” mid game (especially just because luck turned on them).
At the start of the game, before deployment, each player rolls a D6 and adds them together. Look up the result on the chart below, and note down this starting Weather Number. The effects  apply through Turn 1.

On Turn 2 and each turn thereafter, each player rolls a D6 before Initiative is determined. The difference between the rolls is how far the Weather MUST change from the starting Weather Number. The high rolling player decides in which direction the modification occurs.

Example: The weather is currently a 7. At the start of Turn 2, Player 1 rolls a 1, player 2 rolls a 6. The difference is 5, and Player 2 has rolled highest. Player 2 could now change the weather by 5 to either a Maelstrom or a Huricane, but he must choose one or the other!

If a double is rolled, the wind shifts one point counter clockwise on an odd number; or one point clockwise on an even number.
On a double 1, the wind will also decrease one level.
On a double 6, the wind will also increase one level.

Example: The wind originates from Player 1’s nearest left corner. Both player’s roll a 3. The wind now shifts to Player 1’s nearest RIGHT corner (i.e. 1 point counterclockwise).

Random Direction
If a rule calls for a random direction, players should use the DW Deviation template.

Dystopian Wars Weather Table (2-12):

Result   Effects (details below)

2   Maelstrom
3   Fogbound
4-5   Overcast
6-8   Pleasant
9-10   Raining
11   Storm
12   Hurricane!

Wind:
If a wind direction is needed, pick one player to roll a D6.
Roll   Direction
1   From that player’s left hand near corner, to the opposite corner.
2   From that player’s left hand center for the board edge, to the opposite matching center of the board edge.
3   From that player’s left hand far corner, to the opposite corner.
4   From that player’s right hand far corner, to the opposite corner.
5   From that player’s right hand center for the board edge, to the opposite matching center of the board edge.
6   From that player’s right hand near corner, to the opposite corner.

Mark the direction by placing a wind marker or arrow in the appropriate spot.

Strength is defined by what we’ll call the “3G” system – Gentle, Gusty, or Gale.
As winds drive currents and create drag or boost, Wind will affect the movement of all surface and aerial models and SAS Tokens. Wind does not affect Land, Submerged, or Deep Diving models or tokens in any way.
If Movement is increased or decreased, the half-Move value for minimum move is affected accordingly.
Movement impacts are listed below, measured in inches of movement trait modifications. Minimum value CAN be zero.
“Headwind” means the Wind direction is blowing into a model’s forward arc. If difficult to determine, assume the wind is abeam.
“Abeam” means the wind is blowing into either broadside arc.
“Aft” means the wind is blowing into the model’s rear arc

Type   / Min Move/ Turn Limit / Max Move
Gentle   +0   +0   +0
Gusty  - Headwind   -2   -2   -2
Gale - Headwind   -4   -4   -4
Gusty  - Abeam   -1   -1   +1
Gale - Abeam   -3   -3   +3
Gusty  - Aft   +2   +2   +2
Gale - Aft   +4   +4   +4

WEATHER TYPES

Maelstrom:
Generate a Gale wind.
Place a 5” Whirlpool/ Waterspout/ Tornado template in the exact center of the board.

Fogbound:
There is no wind (treat as Gentle). Remove any clouds or Squalls.
No model can draw LOS beyond RB1, including spotters.
Any collision tests automatically fail.

Overcast:
Generate a Gusty wind.
The high skies are shrouded by a thick cloud layer. Any Aerial models at the Obscured or higher height band cannot target or be targeted by any model except another at Obscured or higher. When a model or SAS Token declares descent from/ascent to Obscured, scatter the model 1d6”before moving, to represent losing their way in the clouds.

Pleasant:
Generate a Gentle wind.
Place D3 Cloud markers within 2d6” of the wind origination point, along the direct wind line. Then scatter them D6”, stopping at any board edge.

Raining:
Generate a Gusty wind.
LOS is reduced to RB2 for all models.
Any Fire tokens are automatically repaired in the End Phase.

Storm:
Generate a Gusty wind.
Place D6 Squall markers within 3d6” of the wind origination point, along the direct wind line. Then scatter them D6”, stopping at any board edge.

Hurricane:
Generate a Gale wind.
The entire board counts as being inside a Squall Marker. Remove all Squall or Cloud markers
The area within 6” of the board center is the Eye Of The Storm – while even partly within this area, no model or SRS is affected by wind or squall.

WEATHER TERRAIN MARKERS

Clouds:
A cloud template should be no bigger than 6" in any direction, and no smaller than 3” across. It should appear lighter in shade than a Squall template to distinguish the two. It may be mounted on an aerial stand as long as the area covered by the template is clear.
While wholly within a cloud any Aerial model has LOS blocked to and from it. If partially within a cloud, any aerial model is considered Obscured, but may itself fire normally.

Clouds move in the wind direction during the Weather Phase of Each turn:
-   GENTLE – d3”
-   GUSTY  - D6”
-   GALE – 2d6”

Squall:
Same rules and template size as for Clouds, but the template should be of a dark and stormy coloration.
Squalls should always be accompanied by Gusty Wind. If the Wind ever drops below Gusty, replace any Squall templates with Clouds.

While partially or wholly within a Squall, any Model has its LOS reduced the Range Band 1 ONLY.

If a Squadron starts its movement within a Squall, it must make a Command Test (roll separately for each model or Token). On a failure, one random model takes damage from the winds, rough seas, or an actual lightning strike. Roll 2d6” to determine the amount of dice rolled to damage the model or token. This damage ignores Shields.
For each SRS Token in a Squall, roll a D6. On a 6 it is destroyed.
Squalls do not affect Submerged or Deep Diving models or tokens in any way.

Whirpool / Waterspout / Tornado:

The Whirlpool marker is a 5” across template. 
Before any aerial, surface, submerged, or deep diving model moves (anywhere on the board) it is automatically pushed d6” towards the whirlpool center. Models determine this distance in an order chosen by their owner.
ANY MODEL which touches  (or is touched by) the Whirlpool template is destroyed.
If the template remains more than one turn, move it d6” in a random direction, before determining other effects.

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Rules 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »
I kinda like this except- I would either increase the good weather percentages or simply only use occasionally. Most naval encounters would be avoid inclement weather. However great for scenarios.
Suggest adding some standard moves to gain the weather gauge (just fun).
I would like to see some nationality modifiers, e.g. the FSA would do poorly in rough weather, but since they dumped the maneuver advantages paddle wheel ships would have, penalizing them the lack of freeboard seems unfair. This could add a lot of overhead, but may be an option as a modifier to the effects ( the Covenant would have good stuff on this).
I like the speed impacts, not so much the turn limits. I would dump or minimize those.
Squall lines and fog banks more scenario rules.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Rules 2.0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:31:09 pm »
At first look I would say this is an improvement to the old rules, in simplicity alone.
If I could get that word document from you Dale that would be excellent. I'll give it a shot when I come back and report back.