Author Topic: Speerschleuders  (Read 1912 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Speerschleuders
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »
For those Prussian vets out there, is it worth it to seek out SS models to enhance Tesla fire, or better to just focus on other things and treat SS synergy as a nice-to-have bonus?

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Speerschleuders
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:47:21 pm »
I'm not a Prussian player, but my ships have been "speared" by Stephan's and Darth Doot's Prussians many times, and I can tell you it REALLY sucks. Especially since you have to make a normal repair roll (4+) to remove the stupid things, and we all know how good I am at rolling a 4+.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:23:16 am »
We had a discussion about this in the tactics section a while back. Since then, I've gotten a few more games of 2.0 under my belt, and my thinking on SS has come to this: You don't necessarily need to build your list around them, but you can't ignore them either. The PE simply aren't a strong enough faction overall to dispense with the powerful synergy offered by SS + Tesla and still have a reasonable chance of success, IMO. Simply put, it is the best tool in the PE's limited bag of tricks. This goes for the table as well as list building. I've found I tend to be more successful with my PE when I'm actively looking to pull off the SS + Tesla "combo."

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:08 am »
I've had so-so luck with them, but I've only recently gotten any big models with the ss ability.  There seems to be two main schools of thought regarding how best to use a ss.  Either you take something with high AD and the ss trait and use it to spear a target so other models with fewer AD can pile in, or you do the exact opposite and hope to get in a spear with smalls so one of your heavy hitters can get boosted even further. 

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
Unless something changes last minute, I'm aimed at ordering Battle for Iceland this week. That means I'll have the Donnerfaust Support Cruisers as my only SS element besides the Metzger-B. So we'll see.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
To be fair, though, the Donnerfausts are great SS platforms. I love running a solid squad of 3, but once I get my Iceland box I'm going to play around more with running them as attachments.

Oh, and one thing we can't forget in all this is that SS make great ASW weapons as well, thanks to the fact that they come with Sub Hunter.

I've had so-so luck with them, but I've only recently gotten any big models with the ss ability.  There seems to be two main schools of thought regarding how best to use a ss.  Either you take something with high AD and the ss trait and use it to spear a target so other models with fewer AD can pile in, or you do the exact opposite and hope to get in a spear with smalls so one of your heavy hitters can get boosted even further.

I tend to go for the large SS dice followed by smaller AD Tesla dice myself. Key point, though; A squadron can't spear a model and then immediately get the lighting rod benefit, as the lighting rods do not count until the player's next activation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:24:36 pm by Ruckdog »

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:38 pm »
Key point, though; A squadron can't spear a model and then immediately get the lighting rod benefit, as the lighting rods do not count until the player's next activation.

Shame there's not a "One-Two-Punch" rule for the Metzger or Hochmeister to allow that. :-)