Author Topic: Weather Rules  (Read 1594 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Weather Rules
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:03:47 pm »
Inspired by a recent MBS episode's "Landlubber's Musings", here's my extensive but simply executed Weather Rules.
Some effects may seem complicated, but at most you could expect one a game. In return, the weather becomes a living factor of the game, and doubles as shifting terrain.

It reads better in the word-format I wrote it in, but I don't have time to reformat for the boards. I can send the word doc or provide hardcopies to local folks as requested.

Comments and corrections welcome. I guess post-Adepticon, I'll start bugging Greg, Chris, and Stephan to try these out.

Overall Weather Rules :
The following Rules are completely optional per both player’s agreement. Players may also pick certain starting conditions or weather-terrain to add flavor or enhance a scenario. But once agreed to start using Weather, a player cannot “opt out” mid game (especially just because luck turned on them).
New types of weather-terrain will be identified for use with the weather system below. These should always be represented by a suitable and clear template, marker, or model. Unclear templates and markers would violate the initial player’s agreement. And if no suitable template is available, the result or effect is ignored.

Numerical Values
If a rule calls to flip a card for a numerical value, use the following conversions:
   Ace Through 10 – As per the card face (1-10)
   Jack = 11
   Queen = 12
   King = 13
   Red Joker = 14
   Black Joker = 0

Some effects may call for a “negative flip” – this means flip TWO cards and take the lowest.

Some effects may call for a “positive flip” – this means flip TWO cards and use the highest.

Random Directions
If a rule calls for a random direction, players should use a watch/clock face or template with equally spaced directions for 1 through 12. (Many games have such templates, and they are simplicity to make). Place the template near the model or terrain to be moved, with the flipping player arranging the directions to suit. Alternately, place the direction template like a compass reference at the table-side, and do not change for the duration of the game. This latter approach also makes tracking wind-direction easier, ala the old GW Man O’ War system.
•   Flip a single card and use the numerical value for the direction.
•   If a KING is flipped for a model, that model’s enemy chooses the direction (i.e. unlucky 13!). If a KING is flipped for a terrain element, the element does not move.
•   If a RED Joker is flipped for a model, that model’s owner chooses the direction (i.e. wild card!). If a RED Joker is flipped for a terrain element, remove the terrain element instead.
•   If a BLACK Joker is flipped for a model, flip again for a direction but DOUBLE any distance involved for the movement! If this takes a model or terrain off the board, it is removed from the game. Models do not count as destroyed for VPs or scenario.

If the deck of cards is ever exhausted, shuffle the discard pile to start a new deck.

Conditions and Templates:

Wind:
Winds may be determined by the initial weather flip, or later changing weather conditions. Wind is defined by direction and strength.
Direction is determined by random flip as above, and should be marked (until it changes) by placing a Wind Arrow marker besides the table edge, or on the directional compass itself.
Strength is defined by what we’ll call the “3G” system – Gentle, Gusty, or Gale.
If required to determine random Wind Strength, flip one card:
•   Ace through 10 => Gentle
•   Face Card => Gusty
•   Joker => Gale

As winds drive currents and create drag or boost, Wind will affect the movement of all surface and aerial models and SAS Tokens. Wind does not affect Submerged or Deep Diving models or tokens in any way.
If Movement is increased or decreased, the half-Move value for minimum move is affected accordingly.
Movement impacts are as follows:

•   GENTLE –
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s FRONT Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is REDUCED by 1”
o   No other Effect

•   GUSTY  -
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s FRONT Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is REDUCED by 2”. Movement distance is also REDUCED by 2”.
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s PORT or STARBOARD Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is REDUCED by 1”. Movement distance is also INCREASED by 2”.
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s REAR Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is INCREASED by 1”. Movement distance is also INCREASED by 4”
o   If a model turns its FRONT Arc into a Gusty Wind, any remaining Movement distance is halved after the turn completes.

•   GALE –
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s FRONT Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is REDUCED to 0”. Movement distance is also REDUCED by HALF that model’s unmodified Move stat.
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s PORT or STARBOARD Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is REDUCED to 0”. Movement distance is also INCREASED by HALF that model’s unmodified Move stat.
o   If the Wind is blowing into a model’s REAR Arc at the start of a move, Turn Limit is INCREASED by 2”. Movement distance is also INCREASED by an amount equal to the model’s unmodified Move Stat.
o   If a model turns its FRONT Arc into a Gale Wind, all remaining Movement is lost.

Overcast:
The high skies are shrouded by a thick cloud layer. Any Aerial models at the Obscured or higher height band cannot target or be targeted by any model except another at Obscured or higher. When a model or SAS Token declares descent from Obscured, scatter the model in a random direction a number of inches equal to a single card flip before moving, to represent losing their way in the clouds. This condition lasts until the wind changes, then it is removed as the cloud ceiling breaks up.

Clouds:
A cloud template should be no bigger than 6" in any direction, and no smaller than 3” across. It should appear lighter in shade than a Squall template to distinguish the two. It may be mounted on an aerial stand as long as the area covered by the template is clear.
While wholly within a cloud any Aerial model has LOS blocked to and from it. If partially within a cloud, any aerial model is considered Obscured, but may itself fire normally.

Clouds move in the wind direction during the Weather Phase of Each turn:
-   GENTLE - Negative flip distance in inches
-   GUSTY  - Straight flip distance in inches
-   GALE – Positive flip distance in inches

Squall:
Same rules and template size as for Clouds, but the template should be of a dark and stormy coloration.
Squalls should always be accompanied by board-wide Wind effects. If the Wind ever drops below Gusty, replace any Squall templates with Clouds.

While partially or wholly within a Squall, any Model has its LOS reduced the Range Band 1 ONLY.

If a Model or Token starts its movement within a Squall, it must make a Command Test (roll separately for each model or Token). On a failure, the model takes damage from the winds, rough seas, or an actual lightning strike. Flip another card to determine the amount of dice rolled to damage the model or token.
Squalls do not affect Submerged or Deep Diving models or tokens in any way.

Rough Seas:

A Rough Seas template represents an area of towering waves and damaging swells. For simplicity, the template should be a sea-colored circle 12” across, or a hoop to define the interior area 12” across. (The hoop would be far easier to place during the game).

If a Surface model or token (including Surface Skimmers) begins its move in, or enters Rough Seas , it must make a Command Test (roll separately for each model or Token). On a failure, the model takes damage from the rough seas. Flip another card to determine the amount of dice rolled to damage the model or token.
Rough Seas do not affect Deep Diving models or tokens in any way, but Submerged models are affected as normal.

Starting Weather and Set-Up:
Before deployments, one player shuffles a standard deck of cards thoroughly (including Jokers). The other player cuts the deck. First, flip to generate a random Wind (direction then strength).
Flip the top card for the STARTING weather conditions.

   Ace of Hearts: Overcast (see above)

   Ace of Diamonds:  Fogbound! Wind is reduced to zero. The entire board has LOS reduced to Range Band 1. This remains until the wind changes to Gusty, then it immediately ends.

   Any OTHER Red Suit card: Clear and Sunny, perfect battle weather. Reduce Wind by one step (Gentle could go to no wind at all).

   Ace of Clubs: Red skies at morning! Place a Rough Seas Template in the center of the board, or as close as possible not overlapping land. Increase the Wind by one step.

   Ace of Spades:  Storm’s comin’! Increase the Wind to Gale force.  Place ONE Squall template at the board edge point that the Wind would originate from (drawing a line between board center and the edge, in the direction of the wind). Then place TWO MORE Squall templates along the board edge 6” to either side of the first Squall.

   Any other Black Suit Card: Partly cloudy. Place a Straight flip number of Cloud templates randomly around the table.  For each, flip a direction, then place the cloud centered a Straight flip in inches from the center of the table in that direction. Remember clouds may overlap (see below).

   Red Joker: Tempest!  But the battle must go on! The entire board counts as being in Squall Conditions, and Wind increases to Gale. If the Wind drops in subsequent turns, change the condition to Overcast.

   Black Joker:  Maelstrom!  Wind increases to Gale. Place a Rough Seas Template in the center of the board, or as close as possible not overlapping land. This actually now represents a giant Whirlpool! (Mark accordingly ot use variant template). This functions as a normal Rough Seas template, except all Command Checks require one additional success. And all damage flips are done as Positive Flips. The template is removed if Wind drops to Gentle.

Changing Weather:
At the start of the 2nd and each subsequent Game Turn, flip a card to see what changes.
   Any Red Face Card: Decrease Wind by one step
   Any other Red Suit: No Change, but add one Cloud to the board, randomly from the center as above.
   Any Black Face Card: Increase Wind by one step
   Any Black Suit: Generate a new Wind Direction. If there is no Wind, generate a new Wind Strength (Yes, this means it can go from calm to Gale).
   Red Joker: Poseidon’s Whim! Generate a new Weather state using the starting table, but do not implement it till the following turn. (i.e. Players may react for one turn to the result before it hits).  Do not flip weather that following turn.
   Black Joker:  Rogue Wave! Pick a random table edge. Working from that edge across to the opposite edge, resolve each model and token in order from closest to furthest away. First, each model must test as if trapped in a Maelstrom. Second, if it survives, move that model or token one card flip in inches directly towards the opposite side, maintaining the same orientation. Since models are resolved one at a time, resolve any resulting collisions as per normal rules. When all models have been tested and moved, the wave has passed.
Aerial models (but not surface skimmers) are completely unaffected.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:31:49 pm »
Sounds very interesting Dale. That Rogue Wave result could absolutely wreck small squadrons. Can't wait to try this out in a game of Dystopian Wars!

I've only read through it once, and only found one thing that I think needs to be changed: the card flip for dice roll for damage from a squall. Given the numeric values of the cards, it would be possible to destroy an undamaged cruiser or get a single or possibly a double critical hit on a battleship if you drew the right card and got a bad dice roll. I would amend this to say that, on a failed command test due to squall conditions, the player would have to roll against the Critical Hits table for each model in the squall (re-rolling for double ones and double sixes). I can't see squall conditions causing hull damage to these ships, but it is feasible that the heavy seas could damage the rudder, or too many waves crashing over the deck would impede the guns, or a lightning strike could start a fire. No HP damage, and the player has the opportunity to fix effect at the end of the turn like normal.

Otherwise, I like it! You should be able to save this in the MBS Downloads section on the main page. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'll bet Ruckdog can help you.

We need to do something like this for Firestorm Armada. I have some ideas...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:35:00 pm by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:29 pm »
Remember, the Squall damage is only if they fail the Command Check, kind of like flying into the asteroid fields in Armada... so yeah, damage can be brutal, but it should also be rare.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 01:23:37 am »
I solo-ed a game of DW tonight for the heck of it. But mostly I wanted to try out your weather rules. They were...really hard to keep track of. Overall it worked out really well. I started with gusty winds and 6 clouds spread around the board. The winds went from gusty to gale force, and then to gusty again. And I added two clouds.

The clouds were neat, I definitely noticed I was trying to use them for my Ottoman minelayers to hide in.
The wind direction was seriously hard for me to remember. Some squadrons I remembered and they were affected, others were not. The direction ended up staying from one deployment zone to another, seriously hampering one side and benefiting the other (the Russians were heading into the wind).

Overall I think it works pretty well. The card flips are hard to get used to as I haven't really done that sort of thing before. The weather I did have wasn't ridiculous. The wind direction may have been a bit too much of a headache for the Russians. They're slow already and it really hurt their tactical options as I was constantly trying to mitigate the wind effect.
The biggest problem I had with the system was constantly checking this post to figure out what to do and what cards represented what. Obviously this is the first time I've used it so I wouldn't be familiar with anything, but I would estimate that the rules added 30 to 45 minutes total to my game in research and record keeping. Which is a lot with a long game like this. I think if you could build this into a spreadsheet and put it in the downloads it would be much easier.

I have some ideas, but I'll let you guys reply to my post with your thoughts before I throw them out there.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 02:06:38 am »
I think when I make a reference sheet with tables, that'll help the tracking of what does what. Flips take a little getting used to too.
My biggest concern is if wind is against one player only by chance all game.

One idea I had is to make only 4 directions - one for each corner of the board. And each would tie to a suit for random determination. So one flip would tell you direction and strength. Most importantly, no one is directly hampered in approaching the enemy, and c loud will tend to move across fleets rather that towards or with them.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 10:47:43 am »
I think when I make a reference sheet with tables, that'll help the tracking of what does what. Flips take a little getting used to too.
My biggest concern is if wind is against one player only by chance all game.

One idea I had is to make only 4 directions - one for each corner of the board. And each would tie to a suit for random determination. So one flip would tell you direction and strength. Most importantly, no one is directly hampered in approaching the enemy, and c loud will tend to move across fleets rather that towards or with them.

That's exactly what I was thinking! By having the weather come at angles it would definitely help a little bit.
Another alternative is allow players options to deal with the wind. For instance, instead of affecting both turn limit and movement value, the player could decide "stoke the engines which will increase my turn limit but give me full move, or run regular power and be able to manouver but not have the same distance". Then gentle, gusty, and gales would go by degrees like they do. But it gives the player an option.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »
This looks really neat! When you get your reference sheet put together, I'd be happy to post it on the MBS downloads page.