Author Topic: New Fluff update  (Read 1457 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
New Fluff update
« on: February 28, 2018, 07:27:34 am »
So we have this update from Stuart https://community.warcradle.com/topic/21859-an-introduction-to-the-dystopian-age/?tab=comments#comment-365751

So my opinions first
Pros
1. Firstly War is back!  Yay!  This setting now has a series of armed conflicts in the background
2. Less Alien weirdness.  Nation states seem to be functional whilst the actual influence of the dark council seems limited to shadowy stuff in the margins.
3. Remembering the awesome campaign books.  The fluff got mangled but at least it seems Stuart has at least skimmed their blurb and maybe read some of them

Cons
1. Still stress on the hex, despite the fact it has almost no bearing on the events occurring.  I get that this is still supposed to be the same setting but Chekov's gun implies it needs to do something to the background to make it worth mentioning.
2. Timeline - put it in chronological order, and get it sorted when Antarctica was colonised, because that starts to interact with how the Enlightened work.  I would much prefer to see Sturgeon as a this Science was meant to help mankind running the military against the ends justifies the means Carpathian with his own rival faction, providing an interesting dichotomy in morality
3. Bring back alliance blocs beyond the 8, so people have an excuse to be places.  The Japanese fleet coming in to support a Prussian invasion in the Caribbean doubles the nations involved ad explains the attack better rather than blundering idiots.
4. Wider war and interbellum is a good excuse for a. the interbellum, b. fitting both Spartan classic models (War stage 1 versions) and WC monstrosities (war stage 2)

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: New Fluff update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »
Regional blocks pushes conflicts farther away to distant theatre: better for naval games but lessen opportunities for meaningful armor clashes

Alien machination doesn’t do much for me
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Asuo

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:23:59 pm »
Its still early on, we'll have to wait and see what comes next :)

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:59:24 pm »
So we have this update from Stuart https://community.warcradle.com/topic/21859-an-introduction-to-the-dystopian-age/?tab=comments#comment-365751

So my opinions first
Pros
1. Firstly War is back!  Yay!  This setting now has a series of armed conflicts in the background
2. Less Alien weirdness.  Nation states seem to be functional whilst the actual influence of the dark council seems limited to shadowy stuff in the margins.
3. Remembering the awesome campaign books.  The fluff got mangled but at least it seems Stuart has at least skimmed their blurb and maybe read some of them

Cons
1. Still stress on the hex, despite the fact it has almost no bearing on the events occurring.  I get that this is still supposed to be the same setting but Chekov's gun implies it needs to do something to the background to make it worth mentioning.
2. Timeline - put it in chronological order, and get it sorted when Antarctica was colonised, because that starts to interact with how the Enlightened work.  I would much prefer to see Sturgeon as a this Science was meant to help mankind running the military against the ends justifies the means Carpathian with his own rival faction, providing an interesting dichotomy in morality
3. Bring back alliance blocs beyond the 8, so people have an excuse to be places.  The Japanese fleet coming in to support a Prussian invasion in the Caribbean doubles the nations involved ad explains the attack better rather than blundering idiots.
4. Wider war and interbellum is a good excuse for a. the interbellum, b. fitting both Spartan classic models (War stage 1 versions) and WC monstrosities (war stage 2)

Interesting. . . . Interesting indeed. :)
 I agree about the CoA/CoTE split needing sorting, that is only going to confuse new players in the long term.  I note the whole "Death of Napoleon Power Vacuum" thing hasn't come back which is disappointing as it is one of the three keys to the old timeline and the massive advances in technology plotline as well.
 But clearly progress is being made.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:59:13 am »
Since I know Rich is an avid reader of my wit and wisdom I am curious about him as a boss, what his red lines are?  Because do we need even need Hex, Chi Vampire, Dark Council, the great sky spirit guiding the warrior nation, Alien Tech over the vault, Carpathian, or Tesla defecting to the states mentioned in Dystopian Wars at all?  Can't we have major alliance blocks like the Grand Alliance and imperial Bond to explain things?  Does everything have to be so grimdark and edgy?  Keeping the settings slightly apart so the world of darkness WWX has all the 'real story going on', a subtext to all the major players in Dystopian wars who think they are fighting in a hard sci-fi setting, whilst in reality they are a cthulu horror show of alien perversion under the surface being contained by the Knightly orders.  Kind of like Game of Thrones the books and a lesser extent the show.  If you were following the Lannister storylines you'd think this was a very political book about getting to top, whilst if you following Aeron/Damphair, or Bran you can tell its not just fantasy, but Cthulu horror at times and places.