Author Topic: Omega Class Destroyer  (Read 4777 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Omega Class Destroyer
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »
So, I know this isn't strictly gaming relative, but at least it's naval! Here are a few shots of a Omega class destroyer model I recently finished, from the Babylon 5 TV show:

CPTPromotable

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Class Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »
What a beast!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:55:58 pm »
Sweet! I always liked the Earth Force ships, unlike so many other designs these are very unabashedly human :D. Armor, guns, heavy fighters done. Lol
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:59:10 pm »
Ah, Babylon 5, I love it!

The Hyperions were always my favorite (and the Vree saucers!).  Great job!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
Absolutely amazing man.  That's a beauty! I think I have an (unbuilt) model of the Nova-class DN from the same maker...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:25 pm »
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out, though I must admit I went with a very basic scheme on it. If I'd had more time, I would have worked out some way to mask some paneling on the "elephant ears" on the bow, and maybe even figured out a way to get some sort of lighting system put in for engine glows and the red lighting you always see in the fore launch bay.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:16:12 am »
I love the Leonov, I mean Omega.   ;)

Seriously though, to you naval types, doesn't that thing rate a bit bigger than a "destroyer"?

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 10:26:46 am »
I think that it was a Destroyer in the fact it destroys everything it faces.  Seeing as destroyers replaced both a Heavy Cruiser and a Dreadnaught class in Earthforce, they're not using Naval size guides. 

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
B5 was one of my favorite shows, but their willy-nilly approach to ship classification has really been an annoyance over the years.  If you look back at the old B5 Wars ships, and B5 Wars was considered canon, they use the same classification for wildly different tonnage ships.  Just my pet peeve......

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »
I think that it was a Destroyer in the fact it destroys everything it faces.  Seeing as destroyers replaced both a Heavy Cruiser and a Dreadnaught class in Earthforce, they're not using Naval size guides.

I think the Earth Alliance went with the thought that "Destroyer" as a class-name, was much more imposing/intimidating/powerful than "Cruiser" so they went with it.  Having "won" the Minbari-Earth war, they had something to prove to everyone else.  Plus, if the EA "Destroyer" had all this weaponry, the other races could only imagine what an EA "Cruiser" would carry.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Naval Classifications
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »
B5 was one of my favorite shows, but their willy-nilly approach to ship classification has really been an annoyance over the years.  If you look back at the old B5 Wars ships, and B5 Wars was considered canon, they use the same classification for wildly different tonnage ships.  Just my pet peeve......

I found it a little annoying too! In all honesty, it seems like the Earth-Membari war era ships followed a roughly sensical pattern, but  once the Omega came along, it all went out the window!

However, it is a sci-fi show, so it really can't be objectively "wrong." There is no reason why the EA would have to strictly adhere to a centuries-old classification system, especially when modern navies aren't so good at holding to it! One example is the JMSDF's "Helicopter Carrying Destroyers" which look an awful lot like an aircraft carrier. Another example is how the USN's guided missile destroyers (DDGs) are the size of WWII-era cruisers, and pack several times the firepower to boot. So, I'm willing to just roll with the punches on this one...