Author Topic: New Game for Dystopian Age ( With a between the lines HUGE change for DW )  (Read 872 times)

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile

The big announcemnt recently teased has been announced - https://blog.warcradle.com/2019/3/announcing-lost-world-exodus?fbclid=IwAR30FwNZ4rnH3bWjYkLkdgTfEf3DlW21gxbkgPSRwv1OspEDzsBvaFCzT1Y

Please note; The Covenent of Antarctica have been severly sidelined in this scenario; I would say "nerfed" but this is almost beyond that.

I won't go into my further objections to this game idea as a biologist, as those are academic and numerous.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
So firstly the positives!

The art design on the promo model has a few things I would personally improve, mostly a breast plate rather than pauldrons, a more warlike face on the model, getting rid of the weird loincloth, and a fire lance rather than ice lance, but the rest and the bike look more militaristic and less silly than their WWX equivalent and more emergent from Legions. 

The Covenant news is mixed.  The Covenant on Antarctica, or CoA for short seem nerfed as Covert says.  The fact everybody is sneaking past and the CoA don't seem to have any control is awful for their political and scientific control over the continent and being the safe haven for progress and science that provides a contrast with the rest of the world.  This is a little disappointing, but a lot of it rests confirming the fluff, with the initial blog on Warcradle's site offering very little by way of fluff detail and Stuart's interviews often proving to be thought experiments.

The more negative element seems the setting.

The Vault being some monstrous zone of Alien ecology overtaking the centre of Antarctica seems both a bit grimdark and harms the ideal utopia society of the classic CoA that made it an interesting contrast to the rest of the world.  It also suggests something like the Chtorr with such a rapidly developing ecosystem with megafauna that would be a risk to the entire world and also feels at odds with the Victorian aesthetic.  Something more like a mysterious lost or science island would make more sense, evoking the lost world, or the island of Dr Moreau.  The DWars setting of Hooke's reach would make sense.