Author Topic: Russian tactica basics  (Read 2431 times)

CPTPromotable

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Russian tactica basics
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »
So I bought the Russian starter on impulse when I saw it at the LGS. Being thrust into command of a White Navy Battle Brigade, I want to go over my thoughts with y'all on good Russian tactics before my.first game.

First, Russian capabilities.

They have average dr/cr  with ablative armor, which keeps.them from being damaged until the first crit, which is treated as 1 up loss(regardless of double or triple crit on that first hit) and then the mar goes away. This is available on almost every capital class vessel(the only exception offhand that I remember is their medium capital  flyer, although their large has to pay twenty points to add it). They also have low low aa/cc which is mitigated by breaker/jammer generators on some vessels , which extend their protective envelope to any friendly fleet model within rb1 and allow you to redirect x amount of rockets or torps, depending on generator, onto another ship, friendly OR enemy, within rb1. They also have high ap (12 for the BB, 7 for the cruisers, 3 for frigates) mitigated by an almost nationwide -1 to hit on any boarding assault(a few models escape.this).

For.firepower, the Russians have massive primary firepower in rb1-2, with. The borodino links for 22ad in rb1 and 18ad in rb2(one 12/10 turret with 270 degrees, and two 10/8 turrets). The secondarily are great, with the borodino having 8/8/6. The cruisers have 10/8 turret and 6/6/4 secondaries. The frigates have a 6/4 primary turret and a 2/4 close mortar(secondary) with lob shot, which isn't indirect fire but ignores obstructing models when determining LOS, which is great since both weapon systems have a 360 fire arc.

In fact let's take a look at the frigates. Average dr/cr with a 9" movement, they have 360 movement. With the mar lob shot they can fire over screening capitals and at flankers. These are great frigates.

Now that we have the capabilities down, how do these mesh?

It seems the easiest way to fight with the Russian starter is to lump your cruisers and battleship close together with at least one squadron worth of frigates parked behind them. This mutually supportive block can smash most anything with its absurd closerange firepower while keeping the generators close to keep rockets and torpedoes from causing damage. Th bomber doesn't do much outside of bombs, so keepobscured and running for something big with its 8ad bombs. If you are in a pinch you can use hardshell to drop a non-linkable 12ad attack, but doing so loses you the bomber and its VPS.  Then you can release the other frigates to hunt flankers or hug the main block .

That's pretty much it. There's a lot more there with the other units but a starter battle is often the first one. The only problem I see is making the enemy come to the Russians(which tend to the slow side with 7" cruisers and 9" frigates) instead of running away.

Thoughts, officers?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Russian tactica basics
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the run-down! I think you have a solid plan for the first game; certainly, I think king the frigates behind the medium and large ships is the way to go given their movement and lob shot ability.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:54:40 pm »
I'm surprised the frigates have so much movement.  But they still won't win any races against Covenant "dolphin dipping" frigates.

The only problem I see is making the enemy come to the Russians(which tend to the slow side with 7" cruisers and 9" frigates) instead of running away.

It sounds like if I can keep my faster fleet at a distance then I'll do fine by lobbing long range guns and rockets.  The problem, however, might be scoring that first Critical Hit to start breaking down the large Russian ships.

All the same, I'm looking forward to an "alternative" Battle of Tsushima with my Japanese fleet against the Russians!

CPTPromotable

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 04:42:29 pm »
Yeah, if you can skate around them, the Russians are going to have a very hard time. But, if they pack a kostroma and another battleship, or anything with a mimic gen, and iceberg their advance so that most of.your ships cannot fire effectively until they can then they'll be difficult.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:19:30 pm »
Yeah, if you can skate around them, the Russians are going to have a very hard time. But, if they pack a kostroma and another battleship, or anything with a mimic gen, and iceberg their advance so that most of.your ships cannot fire effectively until they can then they'll be difficult.

That does seem to be the way things go. Though the Khatanga and Tiksi mortars make that a little harder to do and the new submarines are problematical.

Artidsotus

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 06:03:21 am »
I have read this content and feel that it is useful. Which is new knowledge for me.