Author Topic: What is the purpose of a campaign guide?  (Read 1125 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
What is the purpose of a campaign guide?
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:52:39 pm »
Am currently browsing through the "Pacific Cyclone" campaign guide on Spartan Games' blog.  Which leads me to the question:  what, exactly is a campaign guide?  What void is it supposed to fill in the structure of a gaming system? 

I consider myself to still be relatively new to the tabletop wargaming hobby, and there are still things I don't really understand--the campaign guide being one of them.  Are they supposed to be fluff?  Do the add new rules to the game?

Assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is the purpose of a campaign guide?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:04:03 am »
Am currently browsing through the "Pacific Cyclone" campaign guide on Spartan Games' blog.  Which leads me to the question:  what, exactly is a campaign guide?  What void is it supposed to fill in the structure of a gaming system? 

I consider myself to still be relatively new to the tabletop wargaming hobby, and there are still things I don't really understand--the campaign guide being one of them.  Are they supposed to be fluff?  Do the add new rules to the game?

Good day Landlubber!

For me seeing all the fluff is nice, but I tend to scan through it and check out the scenarios at the end. Those are what seem to be the key for me...as it has to do with actually PLAYING the game. Gives more structure and depth to the entire game. Versus just showing up and trying to knock out as many opponents models as possible.

We are in the midst of a small campaign based off the one posted to this site. So far i have to say its been the best part of DW. The tactics to complete each mission are pretty fun and keeps things fluid. Not to mention it has made ppl reserve a bit of time each weekend for the last month to come out and play at least a game or two.

Back to the new DW "Pacific Cyclone" campaign, we have been using our exp with the current campaign to kind of brainstorm possible missions for the next campaign. This is where the fluff comes into to play, as we can read that and come up with some "Ya know what if..." missions. Then adding in elements of the new rules (time of day, etc). Which kind of ties the whole thing in together. There has actually been a good bit of excitement in our little crew about this new campaign. With folks going all in on dedicating time to play, and some impressive new "base" terrain. Then again we are also relatively new and enamored with the game right now.

Dunno if that answers your question, but that's just what we have been using the guides for.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »
Im not familiar with the one your lookkng at but with most "campaign" supplements Ive experienced in the past have focused on giving your games direction. By that I mean theyre primarly fluff designed to explain the different factions motivations. Of course new scenarios are always welcome! It is all about the game play in the end but its also nice to have that background to give you a sense of purpose and flesh out the back story of your force (if your into that sort of thing of course!)
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »
Makes sense, and that's kind of what I thought.  I probably need to pick up the Storm of Steel book, because I think they also discuss new MARs for some of the newer factions as well.  Thanks!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama