Author Topic: Spartan's Image Problem  (Read 1538 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Spartan's Image Problem
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
So, I was bumming around on Dakka Dakka today when I ran across this news thread for Spartan's new terrain [WARNING - DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU CANNOT TOLERATE BASELESS NEGATIVITY!]:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/528404.page

You will see that I jumped in on page 3 to put a positive word in, but that the thread overall is not generally very positive towards Spartan. Now, normally I would dismiss this as unimportant internet chatter, but for the fact that it seems to be a trend I've been noticing over the last few months. It seems that general gamer opinion on the internet, for what its worth, is turning negative WRT Spartan.  The main complaints seem to be about a perceived lack of clarity in the rules, and the fact that the rules are revised too often.

What do you all think? Have you noticed this same trend?

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Spartan's Image Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:04 am »
I think it is largely true!

1. The rules are poorly written and presented in the books. The rules are not bad just can be difficult to interpret.

2. In the past two years there has been several published updates to the rules, not just errata and FAQ.

3. Supplies and delivery have also been somewhat unreliable.
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
I think people tend to get their boxers in a bunch way too easily over this sort of thing.  It's a GAME, for crying out loud.  Is it perfect?  No.  Will it ever be perfect?  No, nothing ever is.

Maybe it's because I'm just a casual gamer, and maybe it's because I don't have the depth and breadth of tabletop wargaming experience that a lot of other people do, but I have no problems with Spartan Games.  Yes, I do have to consult the rule book sometimes about odd situations, but it certainly isn't often enough to affect my game playing experience.  And 99.9% of the time, if my opponent and I can't figure out the answer, we leave it to the dice to decide, and then go about the rest of the game.  Yes, sometimes I can't find the models that I want at my FLGS, or they're on back order, or whatever.  Big whoop.  I have dozens of models I haven't even put primer on yet, and not being able to get that third blister of Pflicht airships that I've had on order for two months now isn't going to stop me from taking my models to the game store tomorrow night and playing and having a good time.

Bottom line:  I'm married, have a full time job, and have plenty of real-world adult issues to deal with everyday.  I'm happy just to have an interesting game to play and interesting models to paint, and I'm certainly not going to whine about how some game manufacturer didn't lay their rule book out in a logical manner, or can't seem to get every single one of their models in the quantities I need to my FLGS.  This is a hobby--nothing less, and certainly nothing more.  If you don't like it, and if it really frustrates you that much, DON'T PLAY THE GAME.

Off my soapbox now.  No offense meant by any of the above; it is merely my opinion as a gamer.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:18:25 pm »
What do you all think? Have you noticed this same trend?

I have. It is apparent on the Spartan Forums as well, although there it manifests more as waning enthusiasm.

If you don't like it, and if it really frustrates you that much, DON'T PLAY THE GAME.

I am the sort that buys models because I like the models and then I later hope that if someone wrote rules for them that they will perform OK under those rules.

Rules never frustrate me. They sometimes disappoint or make me laugh at their silliness. If that becomes a problem I just go write my own rules. And my rules are always perfect... 8)

(But I was was raised by Bears in the Woods ---Back in the Days of Yore--- When companies that made model tanks or boats or whatever, simply made models and then fondly hoped that some of the people buying the models would use them in games. Games the people playing them had devised for themselves.) 
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:00 am »
Just getting into Spartan, finally! The rules are...  ::). Lets just say I'm planning on working up a quick reference guide for F:A similar to what we have for BFG... That is unless someone knows of a good one that might save me some time  8).

I just got my first set of models from them today and they're ok :-\, I decided to go with the Oroshan (I love the look, very familiar shapes with a rather obvious nod to the Cardassians and a little bit of Advent from Sins of a Solar Empire). Anyway I ordered an Armageddon  and some Slayers to play around with colors on, but the metal frigates have an odd grainy texture and the dread has some really fine lines in it similar to ?fingerprints? I don't know if this is normal or not but its a bit off setting at first. If I had been in store and hadn't ordered online I don't know if I would have gotten them in this condition.

I've got to throw up a big thanks to Manbattlestations!, Ruckdog, and TheWarStore.com btw for fueling this purchase with the painting comp prize :)! As soon as I get some time to put some paint to model Ill be posting them up here.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.