Author Topic: Thinking of Starting an MBS Substack  (Read 397 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Thinking of Starting an MBS Substack
« on: February 01, 2023, 05:11:24 pm »
Hi all! I wanted to broach a topic for discussion that I've been tossing around for a while; I'm thinking of starting an MBS substack.

For those not aware, Substack is essentially a combination blog/email newsletter service. Readers can subscribe to various writers, and then get that writer's posts delivered to their email. The service also allows writers to monetize their posts by requiring a paid subscription for some or all of their posts (to be clear, I'm looking to keep a proposed MBS substack free, at least for the foreseeable future).

What would I post? Mostly it would be the kinds of things I've posted on the blog in the past. I'm also looking to use it as a vector for a written version of the Community SITREP. Old hands out there will remember that I used to do such a newsletter via a monthly email using the forum's messaging function. However, I stopped doing that a few years back due to the fact that the website's hosting service saw that traffic as spam and actually took down the entire site for a few days! The content of the SITREP would be very much like what I talk about verbally on the podcast now.

Anyway, looking to see what your thoughts are, and if you think it might be a good idea or not. Thanks!

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of Starting an MBS Substack
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 10:24:24 am »
I am not wise enough in Social Media and modern technology to really know.  I am not familiar with Substacks at all.   

However, if you are looking for more exposure I have had success using a interface that allows me to post on multiple Social Media sites at one time, so I create 1 post and it can go to Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter all at once.  This has helped me drive traffic and increase exposure across a variety of cities, countries, and age groups.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of Starting an MBS Substack
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 12:34:08 am »
My preference is always going to be audio as it is the most accessible media format, and I need as much listening material as possible (two 15 hour days at work last week – sad face), but as far as reading goes, I would not turn down any content though.

The name seems appropriately on-topic… if you were proposing Planestack or Tankstack, I would be right out.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...