Author Topic: In Your Opinion, What Makes a Good Wargame?  (Read 557 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
In Your Opinion, What Makes a Good Wargame?
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:37:15 pm »
I think the name says it all on the tin! 

I frequently like to ask this question as I have no idea what people like to play.  I only know what I like to play. 

I am not looking for game recommendations, more the elements of a wargame that you really enjoy.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: In Your Opinion, What Makes a Good Wargame?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:06:12 pm »

A few features I prefer in games -

Easy to understand rules which are still detailed - Simple, not simplistic.

A level of detail in actions; Not just one action, but several per unit.

Some customization in either force composition, vehicle weapon systems, or the utilization on the table.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 05:31:39 pm »

A few features I prefer in games -

Easy to understand rules which are still detailed - Simple, not simplistic.

A level of detail in actions; Not just one action, but several per unit.

I totally agree with Covertwalrus on what makes a game good, but would also go further than just easy to understand a game moreover needs to be easy to explain to make it more approachable.  The constant, immense hurdle that I always seem to face with any game is not the models, or rules, or table, but getting any opponents who are interested in trying a new game.

Anything in the structure of the game that makes it easy to pitch to a potential player is great, and honestly, if I have to choose I would pick being able to explain the game in a sentence or two over ever having any deep understanding of the mechanics...

...just like magnets, easy to explain, impossible to understand
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 11:14:44 pm »
Anything in the structure of the game that makes it easy to pitch to a potential player is great, and honestly, if I have to choose I would pick being able to explain the game in a sentence or two over ever having any deep understanding of the mechanics...

An excellent point- Which TBH is the reason I love Full Thrust. The basic idea of the game can be explained in a few sentences, and it's literally a "learn as you play" experience.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 10:38:44 pm »
Just got done reading the thread on this question you started on DakkaDakka! Lots of good points both here and there. Assuming we are limiting the discussion to hobby games that we are playing for fun, for me what makes a good wargame is:

1. Appeal. Do I find the theme/era/setting interesting? I also roll a game's miniatures into this. If I'm not that interested in what the game is about, then I'll probably pass even if its the best ruleset ever written otherwise. For example, I don't have a lot of interest in ancient warfare. You're not likely to see me collecting many archers or chariots anytime soon. A new starship combat game, though? You have my immediate attention!

2. Availability. This includes how easy it is to get ahold of the rules and other components, as well as how easy it is to find people to play with. To a degree, it also factors in the price of the components, though the other characteristics I mentioned can balance that out. I would say that 40k is probably the single most available game on the market, despite how expensive it is to get into.

3. Fun.  This one is the most subjective, and it really boils down to do I find the game to be an enjoyable one to play? I have trouble pinning this down on any one particular mechanic or design element; it's more of a holistic impression of the entirety of the game experience. I generally like integrated turns, for example, but if a game that otherwise works well seems to break down because of the integrated turn mechanic, then I'd rather see it have UGOIGO instead. I feel like BFG is a great example of this!