Author Topic: A Favorite Mechanic  (Read 1071 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
A Favorite Mechanic
« on: August 26, 2019, 02:39:11 pm »
What is a favorite game mechanic that you have run across in a naval game, that you wish more would use? 

Please give a brief overview of the mechanic, the name of the game it is from, and what you really liked about it.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: A Favorite Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:25:14 am »
 Mine? It's a mechanic shared by two "Naval" games, and it has a slightly different approach in each. Re rolling 6's for extra dmage effects.

In Full Thrust ( FT ),  when firign beam batteries, the rolls of 6 do an initial two points of damage to the target vessel, half on armour, half on internal structure if armour is present, or all on internal if armour is not. Subsequnet re-rolls do dmage to internal structure, and each 6 does two points of damge and calls fro another re-roll; It is said to simulate the times when the firing ship has a solid "lock-on" to the avoiding target ship, and holds the energy beam on target long enough for severe damage to be done; Often leading to a single hit crippling many systems aboard the target vessel.

In Dystopian Wars ( DW ) the machanic is similar but is called Exploding Dice; Again, 6s are re-rolled and count for two points of hull damage. In one case, the "Devastating Munitions" feature of some guns, the first 6s rolled do two points of dameg and count for two rerolls in the next turn, and any 6s then count as a single re-roll from then on. Because of the way damage is done in DW, multiple two-point scores will build up on lucky re-rolls and lead to the immediate sinking of a vessel through a well-placed shot, whcih makes the Critical Hit mechanic truly critical tactically.

Both verisosn of the mechanic, I feel, give flavor to the game, allowing a fortunate hit to allow a small ship to deal to a larger one with fortunate shooting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:14:02 am by Covertwalrus »

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:18 pm »
Out of the gate with a controversial choice!

I believe it is also used in Osprey's Fleet Action game for sailing ships where raking hits do exploding dice damage, while other hits a 6 only allows 1 re-roll.  I maybe mis-remembering it exactly   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:15:52 am »
Out of the gate with a controversial choice!

Not for the first time, if we are honest :D

At least I didn't praise Boom Chits in Dirtside 2 . . . Now THERE'S controversy for you! :P :P :P ::) ::)