Author Topic: A Billion Suns  (Read 2158 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
A Billion Suns
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:47:10 am »
So, Osprey maybe getting in on the space battleships front.... The below is shamefully stolen from the Lead Adventure Forums....

Mike Hutchinson (Gaslands) is writing a new game about interstellar operations which will be release by Osprey in 2020.

Design Blog, playtesting
Each player commands a fleet of mighty cruisers, sleek destroyers and agile fighters as they attempt to hunt down pirates, defend their mining vessels and disrupt each other’s activities. The rulebook provides everything you need to play exciting and tense games of interstellar exploration, exploitation and combat.

From an interview on BigComicPage
the game is striving to be very much a “science-fiction” game, not a reskinned naval game.

The result of this is that, for one, there are no army lists up front. You simply jump in the ships that you need, turn by turn, as the tactical situation evolves. While this theoretically gives you infinite reinforcements, the resources you pay to jump ships in are the same resources that determine victory. Overspend, and you go into debt. Underdeliver on the mission and you might not make that money back! It’s an exciting and very unique dynamic on the tabletop.

Speaking of unique dynamics, the other bonkers thing about A Billion Suns is that games can take place over multiple tables! You can play with one system on the kitchen table and another on the kitchen counter, and a third on that bench! Using the jump points, fleets can both deploy across the multiple tables as well as hop between them, creating an utterly new wargaming experience.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: A Billion Suns
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:24:44 pm »
Some interesting concepts being discussed for this game, although after reading through the designer’s blog it’s hard to say which mechanics he’s going to keep and which will be stripped away.

I’m not usually a fan of “bring whatever minis you want” games because I dislike mixing well-known science fiction IPs. I don’t want to see UNSC cruisers from Halo: Fleet Battles facing off against Romulan Warbirds. This is just a pet peeve of mine. But I’m fine mixing lesser-known IPs...for instance, Directorate ships from Firestorm Armada against the PHR from Dropfleet Commander.

That being said, I’m intrigued by some of the ideas he is discussing and will be following this closely. Here’s the link to his site:

http://abillionsuns.space/

Thanks for sharing!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

BrdingPrty1

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »
@Landlubber.

Oh the Horror!!!  ;) ;)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:40:35 pm »
Exactly. Add some French airships from Dystopian Wars into that fleet, and my head will explode.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 04:56:11 pm »
I like the designer’s idea of no army lists. Bring what you need to accomplish the mission...if you need more, it’s going to cost you in some way. I’ve kicked this idea around in my head for a few years for a scenario of some type. But I think you would still need to have some sort of force organization, or a severe penalty for exceeding the ship types. For example, I could say I need four battleships to get the job done. But that’s not a realistic (or fun) game for anyone. So maybe there’s a limit where you can have one capital ship, and if you need another, you can have it—but at the cost of victory points, resource points, etc.

Would be a good mechanic for a campaign, I think, because then the ramifications of bringing in that second capital ship could reach far beyond the current battle.

hammurabi70

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:42:01 pm »
no army lists
No army lists?  Everything manned by marines?
A Billion Suns will be a fleet-level science-fiction spaceship game, placing you in the admirals chair of a massive fleet of interstellar warships.
So would that refer to fleet lists?  Am I just being pedantic about the vocabulary?  It does sound good if he is trying to use the SEA STRIKE approach for scenarios.
6mm wargames group: 6mm+subscribe@groups.io
http://www.olivercromwell.org/

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 03:40:04 pm »
I saw this up for pre-order in a few places. 

However, I think there are no "set" fleet lists like in other games.  However, there are types of ships you can buy, but it is not a strictly points based- list-building style of fleet lists. 

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 06:08:17 pm »
no army lists
A Billion Suns will be a fleet-level science-fiction spaceship game, placing you in the admirals chair of a massive fleet of interstellar warships.
So would that refer to fleet lists?  Am I just being pedantic about the vocabulary?  It does sound good if he is trying to use the SEA STRIKE approach for scenarios.

Hard to say based on what’s available. I suspect that “no fleet lists” is saying there will be no force org charts or the like (ie, you have to take 3 cruisers for every battleship, etc). That’s my interpretation though!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »
no army lists

See above from Ruckdog...I was using “army list” in the general sense. Fleet list is more appropriate obviously. Been playing too much Star Wars Legion recently I guess!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 09:34:35 am »
It's been a whole year since the initial announcement, and there has been a lot more information released:

http://abillionsuns.space/the-game/

I recommend checking out the design blog, there are some interesting tidbits in there:

-Smaller model counts

-Focus on "extensibility" through novel scenario generation

-Less of a "nation vs. nation" game and more of a "corporation vs. corporation" game

All in all, this sounds like a nice taste of something different, and given that it's a $20 rule set that allows you to use any minis that you already have, it seems well worth checking out!

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »
From what I have read, it almost sounds a bit more like a "Dudes on a Board" type game.  Almost a wargame/boardgame hybrid. 

hammurabi70

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 07:04:33 pm »
From what I have read, it almost sounds a bit more like a "Dudes on a Board" type game.  Almost a wargame/boardgame hybrid.

Well I hope someone will do a review; I could do with a good space fleet set of rules and have not used FULL THRUST in years.
6mm wargames group: 6mm+subscribe@groups.io
http://www.olivercromwell.org/

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 11:13:26 am »

Well I hope someone will do a review; I could do with a good space fleet set of rules and have not used FULL THRUST in years.

I definitely plan on getting these rules, so I’ll do a write-up for the blog (maybe even a video!).

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »
I will also get them and review them..... eventually.   :D

I will definitely link to it here.