Author Topic: Naval Wargaming Lecture  (Read 1345 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Naval Wargaming Lecture
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »
Ran across this lecture on Youtube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maHpGR-Vj4Q&feature=share&list=UU9F18RmdfYvYjbMmRyFUdXw

It is a bit long, but it is very interesting in that it covers game theory and gives some insight into how naval wargaming is used in a professional setting.

Danaussie

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Wargaming Lecture
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
That was awesome! 8)

I guess being a university student for a short while I have got used to sitting down in a lecture theatre and listening to mono-tone speeches :D I actually grabbed a cup of coffee and listened to the entire thing, it was both informative and very interesting if you can get past the mono-tone and keep from falling asleep.

This is an invaluable resource for both new-comers, in particular, and veteran gamers alike, it is an awesome introduction to the concept of wargaming and what is involved in it. Most of us are not new to wargaming, having played many different types by now. There is something clinical, however to Naval Wargaming, machine vs machine instead of man vs man is kind of what I like about it. Wargames are great trainers for the actual thing, which is why I guess the military are now promoting this in military academies around the world.

I met up with an American Officer in the Cladestine Forces on the Tournament (wargaming) Circuit shortly after 911 and talked with him at length about wargaming and wargamers producing strategists of the future. I remember telling him that there would not be a single wargamer in this room that could not lend assistance in a time of "actual warfare" with all that they know or have learned by playing games with miniatures. With that he replied in a very "X" Level way, "we are aware of that Dan". I said to him "its too bad we are mostly pacifists eh", he said "not a bad thing at all, pacifists make the most conservative officers".

A very interesting conversation in many ways, but in the end he past around the room free copies of a game many of you may have 'even" played called "Combat Mission - Africa Corps", it was released to the The Australian Defence Force Academy for trainee officers to use as a simulator. In the end its better to waste bots than it is to waste actual people. I guess that is relevant to this thread.

A really good lecture I got alot out of it.

Dan :) :) :)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Naval Wargaming Lecture
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it! It's amazing what you can find on youtube theses days ;).