Author Topic: Capital accompaniment  (Read 1024 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Capital accompaniment
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »
I'm curious what the opinions are on this forum about running a cruiser or two with your carrier.
The benefits are obvious- linked fire to increase the carrier's effectiveness in addition to launching wings. As well as linked PD to scare off torpedoes.
However, the cost can skyrocket. Not to mention the potential battle log additions to your opponent of +1 per destroyed cruiser.
Does the community find this compelling? I haven't experimented at all with it yet but on paper it looks like a good way to fill a handful of points.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Capital accompaniment
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:58:23 pm »
I like the idea in concept. It certainly allows for the creation of a pretty powerful, compact squadron that can activate all at once and potentially do more damage than a separate squadron of cruisers and a carrier could do! The Battle Log implications aren't something that jumped right out at me when I first thought of it...I'll have to give that more thought.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:19:10 am »
I find it depends on the ships. I'm a big fan of the Directorate carrier+tormentors for the big cyber attack and the impressive durability while closing, but I find the crusiers are just a liability. The Dindrenzi carrier + gunships are absolutely beastly also. In contrast the Sorylian carrier + cruiser I find more compelling then the gunship, but then Skyhammers are pretty fraking good. The Relthoza carrier + Banes are another really good combo with the SRS and shunt shenanigans. The Terran and Aquan options are not so good though, largely because their other tier 1 options are so strong. The alliance fleets muddle things even more by introducing frigates and corvettes with many of the carriers and battlecarriers.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:10 am »
Very good point being that it would be dependent on the faction and thus the combination.
Ive heard that directorate combo is nasty. Have not seen it on the table though.