Author Topic: Directorate Tactics - First Impressions  (Read 1658 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Directorate Tactics - First Impressions
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »
So, now that I've had my first game with the Evil Corporate Overlords, I have to say I liked them quite a bit, though it was a pretty small game.

Talking with the other Directorate player there, it sounds like a very valid tactic for this faction is to load up on the Biohazard ammo and do your darndest to board the enemy. Has anyone else tried this out, or been on the receiving end of it?

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Directorate Tactics - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:01:12 am »
My Directorate are very boarding oriented. I tend to ditch the biohazard any more and focus on using dedicated cyber attacks to kill crew though. The heavy cruisers are beasts, easily able to close with the enemy and capture what ever you want then turn their attention to smashing everything else with their beams. I'm also a big fan of the carrier/ tormentor group with extra AP and assault shuttles for a late game grab or two. I take Hostility drones before Liquidators  for the ART's (which make killing crew a breeze!) I'm also taken with the Destroyers for the long range attacks and fast movement to pay cat and mouse :D.

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:43 pm »
Interesting! I haven't had a chance to do much with cyber attacks on the table yet. I will have to play around with that as a tactic more.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:34 pm »
Every time I've considered Directorate, my first thought has been "How many Hostility Drone squadrons can I line up on my board edge or in the corners?"
Just that mass dealing of Crit effects, or actual Crits, with Cyberweapons is so appealing. And they'll kill other Frigates/Corvettes just as well as with regular weapons. All while keeping stand off distance.

Seems like Directorate favors the "Bull Horns" formation. Drones back as the base bombardment, while heavy ships and carriers up the middle to pin the enemy (i.e.  the bull). Side shooters run up the flanks, then cut in for assaults and broadsides (i.e. the Horns).

Still haven't figured out how Omnidyne enhances or varies from that. But I'm a ways off from dabbling in that yet. :-)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:38:43 pm »
I think I like that formation idea. I will have to get some of those drone models! What models do you use for the "horns"? Do you put mediums in that role, or the frigates?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
Heavy Cruisers and even Carriers are best on the flanks as Horns, since all their firepower is broadside. And they can pack an assault punch when they cut in to the middle of the enemy.

R&D crusiers and Anything with Turrets are fine up the middle, as well as the Frigates. You want to make the most of that reinforced fore, before the real scrum starts, and the turrets come into play.

If the enemy disperses, its perfect since with little limiting LOS, you can always find a target inthe key range Band.
If the enemy clusters up, that lends itself to nice combined attacks, shooting one ship with torps, one with turrets, and boarding the third. But mainly, they'll be evry vulnerable to the horns doing the pincer thing.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:14 pm »
Ah Dale, ever the ambitious Hun, going for the envelopment.   

Don't you know that the more you tighten your grip, the more Aquans will slip through your fingers!   :P

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:25 pm »
That's why I fight Aquans with Relthoza...