Poll

Are edition changes a good or a bad thing for naval wargames?

Yes! They keep our favorite games fresh and interesting.
2 (18.2%)
Maybe, as long as they are not done too frequently.
9 (81.8%)
No! They are just a way for companies to squeeze more money out of their fans.
0 (0%)
Other (Please describe below).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 10, 2018, 04:37:10 pm

Author Topic: MBS Monthly Poll #27: Game Editions  (Read 1335 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Monthly Poll #27: Game Editions
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:37:10 pm »
For this month's poll, the topic is Game Editions! Pretty much every successful miniatures game goes through one or more edition changes at some point, and naval games are no exception. With the impending release of X-Wing 2.0 and the soon to start Beta Test for Dystopian Wars 3.0, this topic has been coming up in conversation a lot lately. What do you think? Are edition changes a good or bad thing? Be sure to vote and leave a comment below, and we'll discuss your comments in the MBS Community Sitrep for Episode 34 of the MBS Podcast!

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Monthly Poll #27: Game Editions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
ok went for maybe if not too often and hopefully they have a point , i wish jon tuffly wound release an updated full thrust book although i dont feel the rules are are in need that much change but the book is very dated
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:12:07 am by riftsinger »
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:12:26 pm »
New editions can be a good thing for a game as they can
- implement rule tweaks to improve the gaming experience (streamlining, less fideliness, better integration of theme and mechanisms)
- rebalance the game to keep it interesting for as many players as possible
- reset the power creep
- generate some hype and generate sales for the game - which can be essential to keep the game in print in the long term.

But such a new edition is only a good thing if it doesn't render models/fleets worthless/unplayable - so it should not be a means to drive the sales of new models. I think GW has been guilty of this in the past.

Changes in between editions also should not be too drastic in order to prevent player base fragmentation (see Warhammer Fantasy -> Age of Sigmar / 9th Age; or D&D3.5 -> D&D4 / Pathfinder).

The alternative to new game editions could be a living rulebook model - like Fantasy Flight Games now uses for it's Living Card Games. The games don't ship anymore with a full rulebook, but just with the getting started rules, while the full rules can be found online on the FFG homepage. I can see the benefits of such a system, but I personally don't like it as it means that the players have no certainty that certain cards/strategies (= models/rules for a tabletop game) are still valid or have been errated since the last game. I very much prefer to have a complete gaming experience that I can rely on for a set period of time, followed by a new edition with a proper lead-time (with spoilers and community engagement).

Jagerhund

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:56:53 am »
I think new editions are essential to keep a game going for the long haul.
It:
1) Reinvigorates excitement for the game, which can lead to new players as well as getting previous players back into the game.
2) Allows for new rules, rule amendments and new units.
3) Update / Move forward game story lines.
4) Allows for new scenarios and new campaigns.

That being said I absolutely think it should only be done infrequently as to many changes or forcing gamers to continually update rulebooks is a good way to get people to stop playing and move to another system.

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:33:20 am »
I think the frequency of new editions also depends on the kind of game it is.
Self-contained board games (e.g. Nemo's War or Fleet Commander) don't need new editions every couple of years - periods of 5-10 years between editions seem to be ok in that case.
For miniature games I have heard a frequency of 2-3 years being discussed as being ideal.
And card games might need a rules update even faster than set (e.g. a new core set every 1-2 years).

The reasons for these differences are probably the release schedule (monthly/quarterly releases of a lot of new content for card games vs. a much slower influx of new content for miniature games and boardgames) and the competetiveness of the game (hyperactive tournament scene and cash prizes vs game nights at clubs with the occasional tournament). The greater the focus on tournament play and the more new product (= rules bloat & power creep), the sooner a new edition of the rules are needed to keep the game balanced.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:20:11 pm »
I am only fan of edition changes if they actually "Improve" the game instead of just re-jiggering the power levels. 

A classic example is Warhammer 40K 2nd edition, maybe you did not like the changes personally; but their is no doubt that there was an effort made to do something different with the game.

Now, look at Warhammer 6th edition and 7th edition..... that was just tweaking around the edges to mess with power level. 

Real edition changes are good, and "power tweak" edition changes are stupid.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing