Author Topic: Shadow Hunter Session  (Read 1413 times)

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Shadow Hunter Session
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:59:56 pm »
Greg and I met this evening to knock out a few Shadow Hunter scenarios.  Greg represented the FSA well, scoring two scenario victories to my one Blazing Sun.  A few highlights and observations:
- The scenarios went quick.  Was fun to complete two and almost finish a third in about 3 hours.
- Blazing Sun Frigates got a Sturginium Flare crit on one of his Georgetown cruisers, 13" movement.  We we're a little lost as to what impact this would have on his activation and if/how he would be able to get them back onto coherence.  Quick rulebook search did not provide clarity, so something for us to look at.
- Greg forgot his rocket battery on at least one activation of his Liberty Battleship.
- Apparently my crew forgot to load the incendiary rounds into my primaries and rockets, as that little rule was completely forgotten about.
- Greg made really good use of his Kinetic Generator on his Battleship.  The new rules that provide D6" of movement compared to the D3" in the previous version (if I remember correctly) can make for a FAST Battleship.
- Greg also had some great die rolls on his Battleships sustained fire MAR.
- Blazing Sun corvettes are FAST and have a nice gun.  I like that over many other factions better boarding corvettes that have no offensive firepower to speak of.
- The Kaiju Heavy Battleship is pretty cool.  I LOVE the little twin rotary rocket launcher turrets mounted on each of the main gun turrets (kind of a Mickey Mouse head & ears arrangement).  I managed to get to RB 1 on some of Greg's frigates and still had two shots of 9AD each, even though she had six points of damage.  With a DR of 6 however, it seemed to take damage pretty easy.  The CR of 12 helped mitigate of few of Greg's good rolls bit though.  I would recommend upgrading to a shield generator (this scenarios did not give me the option).  I couldn't get close enough to use the sonic or disruption generators.

Anything to add Greg?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Hunter Session
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:49 pm »
Crap, sorry Mark, I just saw this thread.

No, I think that about covered it. We could play through the remaining scenarios at some point if you like. Quickdraw and I went through all of them down at the Haven over the course of several weeks, and he pasted me pretty good in the last scenario.

I have to agree with you on the aesthetic of the Kaiju. It is a very good-looking ship all the way around.

At least we were both forgetting MARs. I keep forgetting that ALL FSA ships have Sharpshooters--in 1.1, I think only the Lexington cruisers and one other ship could carry Sharpshooters. And I think the FSA have some rule now in 2.0 where their Sharpshooters are more effective for one turn once per game.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Hunter Session
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:13:07 am »
I'm not sure if it seems to just be you and me or if we're all not that great with remembering MARs.  We'll have to make an extra effort.  It might even be worth it to go over all available MARs with your opponent before a game starts, just as a way to get in the habit of remembering, and getting your opponent used to them as well so as not to be surprised, and for tactical insights after the fact.