Author Topic: Foray into 2.0  (Read 2502 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Foray into 2.0
« on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:09 pm »
This post is a little late, thanks to some photo app issues on my iPad.

Last weekend, the Denver Area Spartan Gamers made our first foray as a group into Dystopian Wars 2.0 at Collectormania in Parker:

Collectormania was hosting a Pathfinder RPG tournament that day, so we were relegated to one table--for 6 fleets.  There was about 3000 points' worth of models on the table.

We ran 2 FSA and 1 Black Wolf fleets against a Russian, Danish, and Prussian fleet.  It was a lot of mayhem.  Because of all the models, and some time constraints, I think we only completed one full turn, but what a turn it was.

We had 6 magazine explosion critical hits, most of which destroyed both the target model and a few innocent bystanders.  We also had one Sturginium Flare crit, which pushed one of the Black Wolf skimmers right into a Danish ship--a cruiser, I believe.

(Those Black Wolf skimmers are pretty sweet looking.  First time I'd seen them on the table.)

The Danish player thought he got off lucky--until a magazine explosion on the skimmer sent it and one of his cruisers to the bottom.  I think the explosion also damaged the Prussian Imperium that was nearby.  All this happened on the far side of the table from me--I was getting manhandled by some Russian ships, to include a magazine explosion that basically made a healthy squadron of Georgetown cruisers combat ineffective.

It was a good chance for us to shake out the rules and try a few new things.  Good times were had by all, and a few of us hit the nearby Village Inn to discuss tactics and strategeries afterward (because we're crazy like that).

Looks like our next meetup will be Firestorm Armada.  Will post pics after that adventure.  We have a good group going...now if I could just get them into Dystopian Legions...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

DarkKnight

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Foray into 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »
Man we need to get our fleets painted! All that resin out there

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
Looks like it was a fun game, even if it was a brief one. I wonder what could have gone down in Turn 2! Gotta say the time constraint is a bonus to games... sometimes. I've said it before, but i would love to incorporate a chess timer into the game just to keep things flowing. Don't get me wrong, at home games i'm bound to take my time....making a drink and getting snacks. For store games, I have no idea how some ppl fit large point games into a couple hours...
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

DarkKnight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
In warmachine they use a chess clock for tournament style play, does make you think and move faster and figure out your move the turn prior. Pretty much you have 1 hr total for your 5ish turns which in theory your first turn last a lot longer than you later ones do to the simple fact you have less models

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:15 am »
@DarkKnight:  yes.  Agreed.  That was a LOT of bare resin.  Except for Dale and Stephan's ships.

@Last Rites:  I'm kinda afraid to know how turn 2 would have gone, based on turn one.  Would have been pretty ugly, I think.  Interesting idea about the chess clock, though...may have to see how to incorporate that into a game sometime.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:28 am »
In warmachine they use a chess clock for tournament style play, does make you think and move faster and figure out your move the turn prior. Pretty much you have 1 hr total for your 5ish turns which in theory your first turn last a lot longer than you later ones do to the simple fact you have less models

Very interesting. Was just reading up a bit more on how the chess clocks work. Now need to think about how much total time needs to be on the clock. MAkes sense that you would have more time int he end as there would be less (enemy) models  ;D Movement has always been the killer for us. We were using a three minute sand timer and if you passed over time suffered -1AD on that squads turn.

@Landlubber - How did the new A3s work out? In fact how did any of the bombing go? Have yet to test the new rules on this in game.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:09:31 am »
I didn't have time to bring the A3's to bear in this game, but I used them successfully in a previous 2.0 game.  They are quite deadly.  The 360-degree arc and 2" range make them viable now.  Plus, being small flyers, I can keep them obscured and protected until I need them.  They're almost like a Tiny Flyer dive bomber squadron, just with more HP and I don't have to re-arm them after an attack run.

Plus...I LOVE the models.  Very cool looking, some of my favorite flyers in the game.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:47 am »
The Russians say "Resin is a camouflage.  Almost everything else out there is resin, so we're hoping for some friendly fire to take our opponents out."  That's the story they're sticking with until the make it back to drydock for painting.  Unfortunately the drydock is assembling FA ships, all in their resin and metal glory!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:26 am »
I hear ya, man.  Much easier and faster to buy ships than it is to assemble and paint them.

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 01:40:13 pm »
I do not accept your pleas of inadequacy.  last 6 weeks activity: 1 Ottoman Fleet, 1 Prussian Fleet, 1 British Fleet, 1 Covenant fleet all painted and ready for the table.  This resin camoflage is not to be tolerated!   ::)

Hope it's nice in Colorado these days.  VA has been very nice for August.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:23:04 am »
I do not accept your pleas of inadequacy.  last 6 weeks activity: 1 Ottoman Fleet, 1 Prussian Fleet, 1 British Fleet, 1 Covenant fleet all painted and ready for the table.  This resin camoflage is not to be tolerated!   ::)

Hope it's nice in Colorado these days.  VA has been very nice for August.

Creon--pics or it didn't happen.   :D  Seriously, I saw a few of your Covenant pics in the Showcase thread--they look fantastic.  Let's see the rest!

It actually has been a pretty cool summer out here on the frontier.  We've only had a handful of days over 90 degrees, and we've received a LOT of rain.  Even in mid-late August, we had a stretch of 70-degree weather, with low 50s at night.  I certainly don't miss those Virginia summers!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:25:21 am by Landlubber »

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »
I demonstrate the Raj Fleet in being, two weeks from release.  It's in the Shipyard.  They exist!  Here, a bit busy, but the COA and Prussian Fleet sail for War

IMG_1566 by creon_the_mad, on Flickr

IMG_1565 by creon_the_mad, on Flickr

The Raj Sails:

IMG_1560[1] by creon_the_mad, on Flickr

The British Come Calling. 

IMG_1567 by creon_the_mad, on Flickr

The Ottomans Patrol

IMG_1569 by creon_the_mad, on Flickr

I can't put my Blazing Sun, as they are all earlier paint jobs.  But they are also sized as per the Prussians and COA.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:37 am »
Very nice.  I really like that camo scheme on the Raj ships--distinctive.  Maybe one I'll be able to paint as quickly and efficiently!