Author Topic: Engagement Report: Air Battle, FSA vs PE (830 points)  (Read 1554 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Engagement Report: Air Battle, FSA vs PE (830 points)
« on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:45 am »
Been wanting to run one of these for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Starting lineups:

That's right--the Prussians were running TWO Imperiums.  Definitely had my work cut out for me.  I brought three squadrons of fighters--2 from local air support, and one supplied by the Savannah, which deployed already launched.  My opponent had two fighter squadrons deployed, and two waiting on his flight decks.

FSA had initiative in turn one, and we were off to the races.  The Savannah caused a magazine explosion on one of the Geier bombers; due to his bombers being fairly tightly packed together, this caused a lot of damage to the flyers around the destroyed bomber.

The explosion caused one hp damage to one of the Imperiums, one hp damage on another of the Geiers, and an engine failure crit on another.  The Valley picked one hp off another bomber with rockets.

I also started running my two robot squadrons up either side of the board--Freedoms on the right, John Henrys on the left.  Both are surprisingly fast, and I had a pincer movement in mind for later in the game.

FSA took initiative in Turn 2, and the middle of the board quickly became a hot engagement zone, with aircraft falling from the sky left and right.

As you can see, the fighters and small flyers really mixed it up in between the two large rock formations.  The Valley took a few pretty hard hits in this turn as well.  On the far right side of the board, the Freedoms finally came in range of one of the sky fortresses:

The FSA took initiative in Turn 3, but it didn't help.  The Prussian Pflicht squadron moved in, causing a weapons damage crit on the Savannah and prizing the Valley.

The Imperiums were now in range of the Savannah, and starting picking away at the armor:

Luckily the John Henrys were now able to range the Imperiums, and were able to pick off one hp.  The Savannah was also able to derelict one of the Pflichts, while the Freedom small flying robots caused a weapons damage crit on the second Imperium.

The Prussians finally gained initiative in Turn 4, and were able to finally take the Savannah down.  The killing blow, oddly enough, came from a Geier bomber that actually bombed the Savannah.  The critical hit caused the massive airship to teleport off the board--and all this happened just after I had landed two partial fighter squadrons on board, so that they could regroup!

The flying robot squadrons each picked a sky fortress and continued to hammer away, picking off hull points but not causing any critical hits.

In the final turn, the John Henrys finally killed the sky fortress carrying the Prussian commodore, and that was pretty much the end of the game.

Final fleet dispositions:

After much carnage on both sides, the FSA carried the day, 552 points destroyed/captured to 460 points destroyed/captured.  It was a hard-fought battle on both sides, with both commodores being killed.

We were playing with a house rule that if any of the blimps (on either side) gained two raging fire tokens, the airship would suffer a magazine explosion.  Didn't get to use this rule, but it definitely made the pucker factor go up when any ship got a raging fire marker.  We also decided that, next time we play, we will allow fighter squadrons to re-form in midair, instead of having to land remnants of a few squadrons so they can re-form.  We had a combined total of seven fighter squadrons on the board, which was pretty interesting.

It was a fun game, and Josh was a fun opponent as always.  Thanks for reading this battle report!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:42:31 am by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
Re: Engagement Report: Air Battle, FSA vs PE (830 points)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »
An Aerial core force game!  Very neat.  Good work winning - facing two Imperiums is rather daunting.  The flying combat armatures seemed to perform very well in this game, which is good to see. 

Thanks for taking the time to post the full report with all the pictures!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
Awesome report!

Thank you.
Btw have y'all considered using movement trays for the TFT?
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »
Like WFB movement trays?
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »
Major M--thanks!  Facing down 2 Imperium-class sky fortresses IS daunting.  I thought they would chew me up pretty good; thankfully, my flanking movement with the two robot squadrons worked, and by the time the Imperiums were in effective range of my ships, they had been degraded.  Not to mention--a full squadron of Freedom-class small flyers packs a helluva punch in RB1.

Aerial games are a lot of fun.  Personally, I'm a fan of lots of fighting blimps on the board.  The games are interesting in that nothing blocks line of sight, except designated terrain.  And there is a LOT of AA fire.

Fracas--thanks!  Glad you enjoyed the report.  As for TFT movement trays, I use modified flight stands, combined with either magnets or sticky tack to keep the tokens on the stand.  Seems to work well enough for me. I usually run a short stand for torpedo bombers, and a regular-height stand for fighters.  I'm also playing around with a much taller flight stand for dive bombers (since they would dive down on their targets from a higher altitude).
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:56 am »
Yeah movement trays enough for TFT 3 wide and 2 deep. Leaves space for a fuel die.
I thought about mounting the movement tray on a fight stand as well but that don't fit too well on sloping terrain pieces.
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:40 am »
Great report! Been running the air core FSA lately myself.  ;D
"Without destruction there can be no creation"