Author Topic: DW Demo at Gamer's Haven Anniversary Day  (Read 1105 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
DW Demo at Gamer's Haven Anniversary Day
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
Here are few pictures from the demo games I ran at the Gamer's Haven anniversary day shindig on Saturday.  A couple of the other players (Josh and Sergio) helped out, providing other ships and helping me explain rules, etc.

During the first demo, we  set up three separate scenarios:  an air battle, a heavy slugfest (dreadnaughts and cruisers), and a boarding scenario between Prussian and French smaller ships.

We (eventually) had a couple people wander over to the table to check it out, and ended up playing the air battle and the heavy fight.

While I was coaching one of our guests through the heavy fight, Josh was walking the other player through the air battle.  I glanced over at one point just in time to see my John Henry robots take down the Prussian Imperium sky fortress!

Might have to paint those guys gold and put them into retirement...

Our second demo was a modified "Sink the Bismarck" scenario, using Josh's Bl
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
Re: DW Demo at Gamer's Haven Anniversary Day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:25 pm »
Wow, those models look lovely!

Glad you have some people to play with out there.  Thanks for the pics!  Do you think your participants will pick up the game?
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: DW Demo at Gamer's Haven Anniversary Day
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:10 am »
Wow, those models look lovely!

Glad you have some people to play with out there.  Thanks for the pics!  Do you think your participants will pick up the game?

Yeah, Josh did a bang-up job on his Prussians.  They really were the centerpiece of our demo, I believe.

Not sure about our participants.  One of the things I've run into at Gamer's Haven quite a bit is people who have entire fleets--or 2-3 entire fleets--of DW models, but have never played even a single game.  Some of them are even very, VERY well-painted, but they've never been used.  This was the case with a couple of our demo guests.  They owned a fleet or two, but had just never played.  Hopefully their experience in the demo will "light the fire", so to speak.  Some of our other guests really liked the game, but just can't afford to get into it right now.  Not much can be done about that, I guess.

As I've discussed on this forum before, I think Dystopian Wars had a huge run at Gamer's Haven in 2012, and started to taper off about 2-3 months before I started gaming at the store.  Dystopian Legions never was able to take off--lots of people bought stuff, but no one ever played it, apparently.  That's somewhat understandable, as the miniature wargaming hobby is overrun with games featuring model soldiers in various guises.  Also, this store has, I believe, one of the most varied player bases I've come across.  Warmachine/Hordes and Warhammer 40k and Fantasy are the big ones here (as they are at most stores, I guess), but you'll also find people playing X-Wing, Star Trek Attack Wing, Federation Commander, Battletech, various RPGs (Pathfinder and the new-ish 40k-based game and others, I believe), Malifaux, all manner of boardgames, Heroclix, and several one-off games that I've never even heard of.  Alot of people like DW, and  have DW stuff, they're just too busy to play based on their participation in other games.  DW has seem something of a resurgence since I've started playing there; maybe I need to organize a Saturday tournament to get all the DW players together at the same time!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama