Author Topic: Kiss Me, Hardy  (Read 4562 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Kiss Me, Hardy
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:00 pm »

I enjoyed wargames featuring random unit activations, usually by pulling chits from a blind draw, but in many of the wargames I played the matter of reinforcements and special events were still determined by die rolls on various charts and tables.  I had noticed reference to card activation systems in tabletop wargames, and I figured they worked the same way, nothing too exciting, until I picked up Muskets & Tomahawks last year and played a game--sure, there is still several tables of random events tied to die rolls, but in addition to shuffling a deck of cards to determine the activation order for all the units on the table, there are also some special cards which determine the timing of special events.  If only there was something more, I thought to myself.

Well, long story short, I started buying some PDF rules from Too Fat Lardies, and I really like their card activation system, particularly in Charlie Don't Surf--the randomized card deck not only determines the sequence of unit activations but critical hits on units, special events which are featured on the cards rather than referred to on a table, special effects which come into play after certain events are triggered with the relevant card shuffled into the deck--and I really liked what I saw.  My subsequent thought--I wish this sort of card system could be applied to an age-of-sail naval game.

I soon discovered TFL had indeed published an age-of-sail naval game featuring a card activation system which also links events like wind direction and changing weather conditions into certain cards.  It's a slightly older publication, compared to Charlie Don't Surf, and the card system is not so dynamic, but I already like what I've read so far, and I'm planning on my first game soon and writing up a full review of the rules on my blog.

Has anyone played a game with this set of rules?

frpat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kiss Me, Hardy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:02 am »
Not played as yet, but I have found a few of their scenarios in their biannual Specials - including a nice one on the action in which Hornblower escaped France on the Witch of Endor. 

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »
I haven't yet played one of their games yet, no. I will have to look into it, they sound like fun! Plus, it will give me another set of rules for the Sails of Glory minis I will be getting later this year ;).

The random activation thing seems like it could be an interesting fog of war mechanism...in theory, this could be easily ported into Spartan's games.

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:47 am »
Not played as yet, but I have found a few of their scenarios in their biannual Specials - including a nice one on the action in which Hornblower escaped France on the Witch of Endor.

I remember that book! I read through the whole Hornblower saga sometime around '82, I think. That would make a challenging skirmish scenario. Do you know  (without googling) who the original Witch of Endor was?

Royal Navy Cutter HMS Witch of Endor
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:13:45 am by Pendrake »
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:37:01 am »
It has been some many years since I read the Hornblower novels.

I still haven't yet played a game using these rules, but soon.  I don't believe this is a system to simulate Trafalgar, just a few ships per side which are not in line ahead formation.

I've been listening to an audiobook about Lafayette in the AIW, and I came across a brief description of a naval action between 8 French and 8 British warships--the British carried the day--and it was somewhere off the coast of New England.  My memory is not what it was in my youth, and I've been trying to find more details about that particular naval engagement... to no success.  I may need to go back and listen to an hour or more of audio to find that single brief paragraph again.  But this is the sort of battle I would like to set up a game for:  more than 2 or 3 ships per side, but not so many that the game is an exercise in maintaining formations and marking off battle damage on ship profile cards.

frpat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:53:22 am »
I've always loved Hornblower, ever since at age 11 I picked up "Flying Colours" in a doctor's waiting room.

Forty plus years on, I still read them on an (almost) annual basis - I've had to find second hand hardbacks to replace the paperbacks - some of which were bought to replace some that wore out.

Only been reading O'Brien for about 10 years or so - love them as well.

Haven't played any Nap naval games in years - but looking at getting into some soonish. Off playing a WWII Convoy game tonight - one of Mal Wright's games, being run by one of the blokes at our club. Hoping to run a smal Coastal Command game myself in a few weeks.

Cheers

X - his Mark