Author Topic: Informational - Display Boards & Cases  (Read 1884 times)

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Informational - Display Boards & Cases
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »
Greetings to all
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Informational - Display Boards & Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:15:30 am »
This is a great tutorial--thanks for posting it!  I would love to get around to doing a display board someday for my FSA, but I actually still have models from the starter set that I haven't painted--so doing a display board is a long ways off for me.  However, it has occurred to me that one day I won't play DW anymore, but I'll want a way to display some of my painted models.  So this will probably come in handy...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:32:02 am »
I'm looking at a display board that will allow a fleet the be hung on the wall.  In the planning stages now and with the arrival of my EotBS Carrier, its size has had me to re-think the board.  Once I get the units to start on it I'll be sure to put it up for all to see.

Stitch

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:15:03 am »
Actually if your building your own displays it shouldnt be too difficult to mount it in the same fashion as an invisible shelf. I would stick with foam for the bulk of the display with a 1/8-1/4" wood base. If you notch the bottom of the foam before securing the wood base you should be able to slide the display over a pair of L brackets on the wall. you can then choose to put a couple screws up through the wood base and bracket for stability if you wish. Of course depending on the size and weight of your display you may have to play around with it a bit, so Id try it with some blank material before you mount a finished piece with models!

If you have, or have access to, a compound saw or evena hand saw and miter box you can build your own frames on the cheap by hitting up the trim section@ Home Depot or Lowes. You can usually pick up some decent 1/2-1" thick trim for a few cents a foot. A couple cuts and some brad nails away and you have your own frames, if you want you can also pick up the metal biscuts they use for picture frames there to join the corners.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:46:44 am »
I see what your saying but I'm working on a vertical board that will allow my fleet to hang flat against the wall utilizing magnets to keep them in place.
Great idea on building your own frames too, much cheaper once you get the tools to work with.

Stitch

Something like this:

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »
I've heard the idea of a magnetized vertical display mentioned a few times in the past, but yours is by far the farthest along of any I've seen! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. How were you planning on working the magnetization?

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:06 am »
I have about 50 small earth magnets left over from my GW days that i plan on using. The tricky part is the base as I want to use a clear cast epoxy to simulate water. However this is going to place some distance and material between the magnets and the normally washers of some kind. I dont think I'll have the attraction to keep the ships on.  So I'm thinking about using two, one on the base and one on the ship, then building up the base some with plaster or putty before using the clear cast. Ships like the carrier would most likely get a total of four.

Stitch