Author Topic: DW 3.0 Pre-Launch Discussion MEGA THREAD  (Read 14558 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: DW 3.0 Pre-Launch Discussion MEGA THREAD
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 03:53:37 am »
It always amazes me that for a company focused a lot more on promotional material how bad Warcradle are at PR.  If you had The starter set ready within a month or two why would you go with blurry shots of models?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 10:18:01 am »
Took another look at that starter set preview image:

Parsing that list, it seems like there will indeed be enough key components (such as the V&V card decks) to allow two players to fully play the game out of the box.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 07:32:36 pm »

Parsing that list, it seems like there will indeed be enough key components (such as the V&V card decks) to allow two players to fully play the game out of the box.

Thta's true, as a box set it's pretty comprehensive. More like the demonstration box set that Spartan put out ( CoA and FSA wasn't it? ). But can they keep up the clever selections for such boxes as they go on?
Their track record with WWX from my understanding suggests maybe not.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 08:02:15 am »
The little disclaimer notes that models aren't finalised yet, and a mix of plastic and resin.  Is it possible the boats are resin, hence why they are shown as one class of vessel rather than modular?  Also recently caught up with a promotional video promoting this very boxed set 11 months ago.  Warcradle are really competing with the top procrastinators these days.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 11:45:20 am »
The little disclaimer notes that models aren't finalised yet, and a mix of plastic and resin.  Is it possible the boats are resin, hence why they are shown as one class of vessel rather than modular?  Also recently caught up with a promotional video promoting this very boxed set 11 months ago.  Warcradle are really competing with the top procrastinators these days.

From discussions I've had with Stuart, the "mix of plastic and resin" is a reference to the fact that the battleships will be resin, while the cruisers and frigates are plastic. He also stated that the resin battleship hulls are also being designed to accept the plastic turrets and generators from the cruiser/frigate sprue, similar to how some of the old BFG battleships did it, where the otherwise metal models accepted the various weapons bits from the plastic cruiser sprues.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 03:59:11 am »
From discussions I've had with Stuart, the "mix of plastic and resin" is a reference to the fact that the battleships will be resin, while the cruisers and frigates are plastic. He also stated that the resin battleship hulls are also being designed to accept the plastic turrets and generators from the cruiser/frigate sprue, similar to how some of the old BFG battleships did it, where the otherwise metal models accepted the various weapons bits from the plastic cruiser sprues.

That is interesting, especially as the box only refers to one class each for the frigates and cruisers, and the differing numbers of both in the box outline.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 01:30:45 pm »
That is interesting, especially as the box only refers to one class each for the frigates and cruisers, and the differing numbers of both in the box outline.

Hence the frequent use of the word "Unfinalised". It seems odd that important details like that are open and undecided, whne the release date ( Or at least the last given date ) is so close. But hey, what do i know? :)

And how hard is it to get a resin cast to have a certain size of mounting for a turret, anyway?

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 05:28:11 am »
We just had WC reveal the dates for November releases so unless the boxed set is revealed shortly for a beginning of December release I think its going to 2021.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 09:44:05 am »
Yeah, I think the slide to 2021 is more or less official. I've seen that being put out by WC reps on FB. I haven't seen an official blog post or news release about it yet.

It seems odd that important details like that are open and undecided, whne the release date ( Or at least the last given date ) is so close. But hey, what do i know? :)

I'm with you there. I would have thought that we'd see detailed box art and set listings for at least the first 3 months worth of releases by now. If you look at the info flow from Warlord and Mantic regarding Victory at Sea and Kings of War: Armada respectively, the relative paucity of information coming from  WC is a bit...concerning.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 05:45:53 pm »
I'm with you there. I would have thought that we'd see detailed box art and set listings for at least the first 3 months worth of releases by now. If you look at the info flow from Warlord and Mantic regarding Victory at Sea and Kings of War: Armada respectively, the relative paucity of information coming from  WC is a bit...concerning.

WArcradle do have communications issues for sure; Mind you, Stuart has pretty much set in stone that, as with Wayland Games itself, there are never going to be December releases/specials. So, as you say first half of 2021.

But also as you say, odd that there aren't any other releases planned or at least publically shown  for other factions ( Despite lots of artwork for the Brits. )

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 06:31:46 am »
Agreed with both of you.  The plastic reveal for the Russian Coalition said expect the plastics for the covenant to be done before the end of the year, Stuart's belief the boxed set was ready seems wildly optimistic.  I don't think the official Dystopian Wars (new) facebook page has posted in half a year. 

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 07:11:21 am »
So some interesting rumours of 'influencers' being invited to receive new sprues and a new teaser on facebook.  Release has obviously not happened before Christmas, so we remain in the dark about that, but if the sprues are being sent out that suggests things can't be too far off. 

The artwork is perfectly cromulent, I like what the artist has done, apart from making the smoke plumes a bit fiery.  The KoB designs sit a bit uncanny valley for me, with the basic chassis of the model looking like Spartan, the ornamentation like Pugin high on opium, the flak rockets like something from supreme commander and the jet powered spitfires like a diselpunk delight, but none of it really gelling for me.  Which is a pity.

Sebenko

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 12:21:16 pm »
You could replace the Weyland copyright with Privateer Press 2006 and I'd believe it. It's kinda soulless.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 01:03:01 am »

Have to admit, the KoB or Crown have come off worst in the redesigns stakes. The Russian Coalition certainly has been affected least, and it's all Curates Egg with the Covenant.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 09:00:13 am »
So influencers' sprues arrived today.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CIng2ovnoYF/