Author Topic: Engagement Report: FSA vs RoF (700 pts)  (Read 1975 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Engagement Report: FSA vs RoF (700 pts)
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:09:38 am »
++++++++++++++++++++

Begin transmission

#####EYES ONLY COM 5 FLT (PCF)#####

From: Commander, 243rd Reconnaissance Wing, 5th Fleet (Pacific)
To:  Commander, 5th Fleet (Pacific)
Subject:  Fleet engagement

1.  At 1845 local time on 30MAY2013, American battle fleet was observed engaging unidentified French fleet in vicinity of unnamed island group approx 76 miles off coast of Chile.  Force composition as follows:

American: 

1 Independence-class battleship
1 full squadron Lexington-class cruisers
1 full squadron Guilford-class destroyers
2 full squadrons Augusta-class frigates

French:

1 Mk II Magenta-class battleship
1 full squadron Marseille-class cruisers
1 3/4 squadron Chevalier-class destroyers
1 full squadron Lyon-class frigates
1 full squadron Voltaire-class heavy interceptors

2.  Fleet dispositions at start of engagement:

During the first battle phase, the two fleets generally moved towards each other, with long range gunnery claiming some vessels on both sides.  The American battleship moved forward and declared "all-stop", resting perpendicular to the axis of the French advance.

Long range gunnery from the American cruisers caused a magazine explosion on the rightmost ship in the Voltaire squadron, even though they had obscured themselves in a cloud bank.  The explosion damaged the center ship and caused chaos & disarray on board the leftmost ship.  Rocket fire from the French destroyers caused a jammed rudder on the leftmost American cruiser, while the American destroyers' rocket salvoes sunk the center French destroyer.

Fleet dispositions at the end of the first battle phase:

3.  In the second battle phase, the American cruisers closed with the French battleship before the captain could activate his cloud generator.  The cruisers severely damaged the French ship, causing two critical hits which killed several marines and knocked the generator offline (the crew was able to repair this before the next battle phase began).  Meanwhile, the French skimmer cruisers swooped in from the right flank and utterly destroyed the already-damaged American cruiser, while suffering light damage to one of their ships.  Long-range gunnery from the American battleship destroyed a second Voltaire, and small-ship combat saw the destruction of destroyers and frigates on both sides.  Of note, the French battleship tried to engage one of the American cruisers with its heat lance, but the weapon was not effective.

Fleet dispositions at the end of the second battle phase:

4.  At the beginning of the third battle phase, the French battleship engaged its American counterpart with the heat lance, but the weapon again malfunctioned and was not effective.  The French crew had repaired the cloud generator and activated it just in time to weather a full salvo from the American battleship at range two.  This caused no damage to the French ship.  The French skimmer cruisers annihilated another of the American cruisers, and more small ships were lost on both sides in close combat.

Fleet dispositions at the end of the third phase:

5.  At the beginning of the fourth and final battle phase, the French commodore ordered the battleship "full steam ahead" and drove directly towards the American battleship.  The heat lance was again powered up, this time with devastating effect.  The hit caused a magazine explosion on the American commodore's ship, which had weathered the battle unscathed to this point.  After the French cruisers sunk the final American cruiser, the remaining American ships surrendered and were allowed to depart the engagement zone after dumping their ammunition and turning over all code books to the French commodore.

Fleet dispositions at the end of the engagement:

6.  Recommendations and observations:

a.  Do not underestimate striking power of French heat lance weapon, even if ship is damaged.
  b.  French destroyers are limited to a 90-degree frontal firing arc
  c.  French skimmer technology allows their ships to travel over land surfaces, as well as water.

7.  Please forward to subordinate commanders with appropriate security clearance.

///
SMITH, J.
COLONEL
COMMANDING
///

#####EYES ONLY COM 5 FLT (PCF)#####

End transmission

++++++++++++++++++++

So, I finally got my first real DW game in here in Colorado!  I played the French, and my opponent (who had left his ships at home accidentally) used my FSA.  Since I usually play FSA, I rarely play against them, and he was rolling hot dice.  It was like walking into a cloud of lead.  The turning point, obviously, was in turn 4 when I destroyed his perfectly healthy battleship.  Very lucky dice rolling on my part, which most of you know is highly unusual.  I ended up winning (which most of you know is also highly unusual), 415 to 315.

Hope you enjoyed the battle report--decided to try something a little different.  The pictures were edited in an iPad app called "Picstitch"--my goal was to make them look as if they had been taken from a reconnaissance aircraft.

Comments welcome, as always.

Thanks for reading!

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Engagement Report: FSA vs RoF (700 pts)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:56:38 am »
Thanks for the nice battle report
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:22:24 am »
Cool battle report!  I am glad you got a game in finally!

Also I really like the look of those Voltaires.  Did you post more pics of them already? 
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »
Thank you!  No, sadly the Voltaires STILL are not finished.  On the list to do this weekend.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:53 am »
I really like how the pictures turned out.  And I like how your French bombers are painted.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »
Cool report, and neat pictures! You need to start posting these on the blog ;).

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:31 am »
Nice report. I like the idea of having pics taken from an observer plane. Keep um coming!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"