Author Topic: Stripping resin  (Read 1442 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Stripping resin
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:17 am »
Can you safely strip paint from resin?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping resin
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:48 am »
It depends on what sort of paint it is. I do think you need to test it first whatever you use.

Acrylics should be easy. Resin should be resistant to water based solutions such as Dettol and Simply Green and household ammonia is supposed to strip acrylic paint.

For enamels I have seen resin dunked in cellulose thinners overnight with no apparent ill effects but I would not want to do this on anything nice without testing it first.

Deluxe Materials and others do paint strippers that are supposed to be model friendly so these might be worth a look.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
I've had good luck using a product called Simple Green. Not too toxic, strips paint with a good soaking and doesn't affect the resin. It does require some scrubbing on nooks and crannies.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:27:32 pm »
Thanks, I've only ever had plastic or metal models before, and I didn't want to start brushing on nail polish remover only to see the model deform. 
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

RaptorEvolved

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
  • Battlefleet Gothic, Dystopian Wars and Dropfleet
    • View Profile
    • Geckoworks
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:19:58 pm »
Ditto on the simple green leave the model for a couple days in the stuff, run it under warm water wit ha old brush and remove said gunck