Author Topic: Painting in general  (Read 1696 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Painting in general
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:41:55 pm »
So to give some context to this, I used to collect Necrons in 40K and the paint job was awful.  I'm looking for some good painting tutorials for both dystopian wars ships and firestorm ships, with lots of details.  Can anyone recommend one?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Painting in general
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:15:53 pm »
If you search the Spartan Games forum for painting tutorials you might find something. I don't know of any specifically but I do know that there are a number of folks on there that put together both written and video tutorials. If the search function doesn't work try just browsing the hobby sections of the appropriate board.

Generally Spartan Games models take really well to a --- basecoat, wash, drybrush, detail --- painting method.
I'm not sure the last time you painted miniatures but the paint ranges for various companies have really progressed over the last 5 or so years. I'm personally a fan of the Citadel paint range (I know a lot of people will burn me for that). Their washes and glazes are possibly the best advance in painting technology to happen...ever... They also have a specially formulated drybrush range of paints that save a lot of waste.

I'm sure some of the other great painters in this community can chime in with advice and tips/tricks as well, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:19 am »

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:20:17 pm »
Thanks guys, both very helpful.  I can't believe paints have changed so much in the last six years. 
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 06:35:24 am »
Another quick rookie question, do you put the wash on with the base still wet, or do you let the base dry?
Tacitus

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:07:15 am »
I personally wait until the basecoat is completely dry before applying a wash. The few times I've tried to apply a wash over a wet layer, the results haven't been very pretty  ;D.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
+1 on that advice. You might get some interesting results applying a wash to a layer of wet paint, but they might not look good on a battleship.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama