Author Topic: FLYING Tiny Fliers (Dystopian Wars)  (Read 2659 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
FLYING Tiny Fliers (Dystopian Wars)
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »
Until recently, I had always found tiny fliers in Dystopian Wars to be a pain in the butt to keep up with.  However, with the recent rules revisions, using them has become both easier and more effective.

One problem remained for me, however:  the model tokens themselves sit on the tabletop at the same level as the surface ships/land forces.  All the other flying models in Dystopian Wars have flight stands, but not the tiny fliers.

So, with a little superglue, some magnets, and some spare flight stands, I came up with my own solution (drumroll please):

Basically, I put magnets on one flight stand to hold 5 tokens of tiny fliers, and then connected it to the post of another flight stand using a magnet:

The rules are specific about squadron formations, so I placed the magnets in such a way that I could remove tokens as the fighters were shot down, and still maintain the proper formation:

Now, I will confess that I have not yet tried this out on the tabletop, but I don't foresee any serious problems.  This set up will get the tiny flier tokens out of the way of the surface models, and will keep them all easily in the same place.  I should probably order some counters from Litko to keep track of fuel; I could glue those straight to the base.

When I get them painted, I'll post more pics, and I'll post some pics of them in action on the tabletop.

Comments/criticisms welcome!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: FLYING Tiny Fliers (Dystopian Wars)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:19 am »
I think it will look great on the tabletop, providing a sense of elevation without all the work of sawing individual flyers from the bases and then mounting them on wire, etc.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:10:19 pm »
Cool idea! I will have to try this out myself. The only thing that you would need to be careful about is making sure that the front of the tokens on the top level are even with the front edge of the bottom base; even then, this only matters for dive bombers, really ;).

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, gents.  I've had this idea pinging around in my head for awhile.

I think it will look great on the tabletop, providing a sense of elevation without all the work of sawing individual flyers from the bases and then mounting them on wire, etc.
That's what I was going for.  I've tried to separate the aircraft from the tokens a few times, with mixed results.

Cool idea! I will have to try this out myself. The only thing that you would need to be careful about is making sure that the front of the tokens on the top level are even with the front edge of the bottom base; even then, this only matters for dive bombers, really ;).
Well, since this is a "custom" build, I would obviously discuss it with my opponent first...I would think the easiest thing to do would be just to measure from the edge of the bottom base...because I think the front row does hang over just a tad.  But we're talking a difference of fractions of a centimeter anyway.

Anyway, I plan on putting them into action against Aaron on Sunday.  Will post some pics.  (But don't expect them to be painted between now and then!)  ;D
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama