Author Topic: No-frills FSA  (Read 8932 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
No-frills FSA
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »
I prefer my ships to have a "raw" look, so I've gone with more of a steel-and-wood theme.  I also paint pretty slowly, so I don't have everything done yet, but here's my FSA dreadnaught:

I actually have a few other models finished, but I just don't have any pictures of them.  Will get them posted up here as I do.  I'm still getting used to the forum, so let me know if you all have problems seeing the pictures or getting the links to work.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:40:17 pm by Ruckdog »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

treadhead1944

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: No-frills FSA
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:19 pm »
Lubber, it looks fantastic.

Check your inbox...

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »
I like this a lot the dark tones fit right in with my idea (and actual) steam ships. The only criticism I can see is that the decking looks a bit plastic (not being sure how to paint wood decks I can't really give any tips tho :/). I'm pretty sure Im going to be picking up some FSA models after I get back from vacation in may and this is great inspiration!
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

treadhead1944

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:31:22 am »
I like this a lot the dark tones fit right in with my idea (and actual) steam ships. The only criticism I can see is that the decking looks a bit plastic (not being sure how to paint wood decks I can't really give any tips tho :/). I'm pretty sure Im going to be picking up some FSA models after I get back from vacation in may and this is great inspiration!
Look at Ruckdog's Prussian aircraft carrier in this same forum, his wood decks look great

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words--much appreciated!

The decking is painted with Polly Scale "earth", I think--unfortunately I ran out and no store around here carries it, so I'm having to approximate the color with something from the Citadel line.  I put a Citadel Devlan Mud wash over it (just one coat).  It may just look plastic due to the lighting. 

FSA ships are a little different from the other ships in Dystopian Wars in that they don't have much "freeboard" to paint.  You could just about paint murals on the hulls of the Britannian and Japanese ships.  FSA ships have a very low profile.

Will get some more pics up this weekend--I have a squadron of destroyers, a Valley-class airship, and a squadron of bombers finished as well.  Everything else is either half-done, primered only, or completely unpainted.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:17:14 pm »
Lubber, it looks fantastic.

Check your inbox...

So which is the preferred method for posting pics--embedding them in the post, or using links?  I know each forum has different rules on this...

Thanks for the tutorial!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:07 pm »
Hum a good question, I know others have imbedded the pictures (myself included) so I would assume this would be the preferred method. I really like the look of the airships and quite frankly the stats for the Savannah would lead me to take that over the Saratoga. Of course since I haven't played yet I can't really make the most trustworthy observations but it seem that the Enterprise and Lexingtons with shields backed up by a Savannah and some Guilfords would make a tough and potent force.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »
Well, I guess since I'm the boss around here, I get to say  8). Personally, I prefer the embedding of pics, as it makes it easier to see what's going on. I've edited Landlubber's first post accordingly ;).

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:24 pm »
Well, I guess since I'm the boss around here, I get to say  8). Personally, I prefer the embedding of pics, as it makes it easier to see what's going on. I've edited Landlubber's first post accordingly ;).

Then I shall embed pics from now on.  Wasn't sure--different forums use different rules.  For instance, I know the folks over at Starship Modeler mandate that you use links, and not embed pictures when you post.

Will get more pics up later.

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:14 am »
That looks great.  I have successfully resisted Dystopian Wars models thus far, being a member here and seeing models like this may make it some what harder.

treadhead1944

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »
That looks great.  I have successfully resisted Dystopian Wars models thus far, being a member here and seeing models like this may make it some what harder.
Come... Join the dark side... We have cookies

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:01:10 pm »
My Valley-class airship, the FSAS Ticonderoga:

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
My Guilford-class destroyers.  I'd name them, but they usually aren't on the table long enough to remember.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »
And finally, my A-17 bombers.  This rounds out all the fully-painted models I have right now.

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:54 am »
Top work.  They look great