Author Topic: Firestorm Armada: Where do we go from here?  (Read 2435 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Firestorm Armada: Where do we go from here?
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »
So, I must admit I really like Firestorm Armada ;). It was my introduction to Spartan Games, and I started playing it after my BFG group in San Diego decided to jump ship for it. The only problem is, I have had very little subsequent success spreading interest in the game. I think that part of this is because of the big drought in new model releases for much of last year, which was finally broken by the release of the Dreadnoughts. However, I think that a new version of the rules, one that includes all of the MARs for the game and the various other PDF updates, is desperately needed. What other things do you guys think it will take to get the game back on track, if it can be?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Firestorm Armada: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:03 pm »
Well, I'm in something of a similar position with the Uncharted Seas which my introduction to Spartan Games and my favorite tabletop miniature game to play.

Something I've done in the meantime, as I believe you have, is play & promote Dystopian Wars with the hope that some DW players will expand into playing your favorite Spartan game.

Just yesterday, playing DW at our FLGS, one of the guys talked about picking up a fleet box for the Uncharted Seas, and then I piped up and announced I'll run a demo game at any time.  Another player expressed interest, and I said, "If you enjoy playing DW and you like fantasy, then you'll love the Uncharted Seas."

Also, Firestorm Armada was mentioned at some point.  But a DW player expressed a lack of interest in any of the FA models.  But the new factions coming out definitely have me interested.  I figure I should at least own one faction of FA ships before I buy a 3rd DW fleet or a 6th US fleet....

On another front, I haven't been able to find any new players to try playing Battleship Galaxies with me....  I'm planning to set it up again for the teen gaming event at the library this Saturday and see if I can get a couple of the kids that usually play RISK to try it out.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »
Yeah, I think that trying to spread interest in FA (or Uncharted Seas for that matter) among an established DW group is probably the way to go. For whatever reason, I think it is undeniable that DW has had the widest appeal of all 3 of the Spartan games.

As for Battleship: Galaxies, I think that this game makes a nice "filler" game, or a backup for when DW or your primary game of choice falls through. It is fast enough and light enough that it can be taught and played in fairly short order, which is a plus. I'm still hoping that we will see some expansions to the game in the future.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
I might be interested in trying Firestorm Armada...not sure about Uncharted Seas though.  Although I do like the way the Iron Dwarves ships look.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama