Author Topic: Epic battle, marathon day of Armada  (Read 1312 times)

DonWade

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Epic battle, marathon day of Armada
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:28:17 am »
I got together with two of my friends today to play a serious battle today.  1200 pts per fleet and our fourth couldn't make it so I wrangled up a battle fleet of Terrans to join my Hawker fleet. Chris brought his Dinedrenzi and Jim brought his RSN.  I knew this was going to be a tough one but I had no idea just how badly the my guys were going to fare.

Here we are a few moves into turn one in Capture The Station.

We used an Eldar BFG model for the ghost station.

Already things looked bad.  I won the roll to pick attacker/defender and neither of us are particularly good at assault.  Should have defended the station.

I didn't spend a lot of time taking pictures but after a spate of seriously sub par attack and shield rolls I was hoarding hazard markers like they'd be the only currency after the government falls. This also lead to serious AD deficiencies from my Titan and bothe squads of Regent CGs.  It wasn't helping that my Makalus didn't break DR on their targets once until turn four. Towards the midpoint of turn three this is what the middle  of the board looked like...and everybody but the Hawker BB dissapeared shortly thereafter.  All of those tokens belong to me except the ones in the Dindrenzi Naussica.  Hell, my Dread had just cleared from 5 down to 1 hazard marker.  Damn high energy weapons.

Sadly, mine was the lower battle log.  We called the game at the end of turn 4 and all I had left was 1 Excelsior BB, 2 Artemis DDGs, and a single Makalu CG.

It was a hell off a rough game for everyone staminawise and particularly for my pride.  I think we've decided 4(3) player games will be limited to patrol fleets going forward.  All in all everybody had a great time but by the end we were just plum tuckered out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:45:52 am by DonWade »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Epic battle, marathon day of Armada
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:02:52 am »
Epic, indeed. When I saw that first picture, I thought, holy crap that's a LOT of models on the table!!!!

Good stuff, though. So how long did the whole game take? With that many ships, I'm thinking a good 6 hours at least. Certainly can't do those kind of games every weekend, but I think they're fun once in awhile.

Thanks for sharing!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

DonWade

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »
I think we got started around noon and took a break after every turn to recuperate, have cocktails and have dinner with the SOs.  We called it after turn four around 10pm.  So not 10hrs solid gaming but as we're still doing a lot of reference work (looking up SRS every time we did an attack run or boarding, far too much time spent deciding how to allocate fire from squadrons) that slowed us down too.  We've definitely decided to go smaller until we've sped up our gameplay a bit.

After all, a 6k pt 40k Apoc game shouldn't be played by players still trying to grasp the rules either.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:13:49 am »
That's an insane amount of ships on the table! Impressive fleets.
It's obvious why it got so brutal...all those firing options.