Author Topic: Planetfall  (Read 6506 times)

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Planetfall
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »
For those interested, Spartan made a cryptic comment on their forum last week to keep an eye on their web site and Facebook page for some big announcement this week.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:12:10 pm »
Oooooohhhhh.....can't wait to see what they have to say.  I gotta tell you, those Planetfall minis look outstanding. 
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Grabula

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:15 pm »
Released and available for purchase TODAY!:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1863

I'm pretty excited about this game but I'm waiting for Relthozans and Sorylians to match my FS:A fleets.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
I got the e-mail from Spartan yesterday.  Holy Cow!  I had wanted the America's Test Kitchen DVD set for Christmas, but I may have to update my wish list.

I'm REALLY wanting that boxed set since I play Aquans and Terquai.  I'd want all the goodies from the box but would be willing to split off the Directorate forces if anyone is interested.

Grabula

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:04:45 am »
yeah sounds like I've got my xmas list, hopefully they'll release relthozan or sorylian before then!

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
This is for Greg and anyone else who plays Legions.  Chatter on the forum says that Planetfall uses the same "core rules mechanic" as Legions.  What are those rules like?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:09:38 am »
That's tough to figure out.  Legions went thru a rules overhaul like DW and FA did; the new version comes out next week.  Not sure what has been changed.

Comparing Legions (the current version) to Dystopian Wars, two big things stick out:  activations and dice color.

In Legions, the players take turns activating units, but you have to set your order of activation before each turn starts.  You can change it from turn to turn, but once the turn begins you have to stick with the activation order you've laid out.  This is kept secret from your opponent.

Legions also uses the colored dice mechanic heavily--we are just seeing a very little bit of that in DW 2.0.  In Legions, black 6's are one hit; blue 6's are two hits; and red 6's are two hits AND they explode.  This is an easy way to differentiate the infantry sections in Legions; the first four factions (and it looks like they are going this route with the French and Covenant) have a standard and a veteran infantry section.  My FSA standard infantry roll only black dice; my veteran infantry roll blue dice.  Also, weapons in Legions combine, not link.  My standard infantry rolls 3 black dice per soldier; at full section strength (10 soldiers), that's 30 black dice.

So this might be what they are referring to.  I actually like the pre-planned activation order, so I hope they include that in Planetfall.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »
I played Legions with Greg once. I enjoyed the pre-planned activation. I also think it lends itself nicely to a ground war.
And the additional dice differentiation lends itself nicely to the varied weapon systems you would find on the ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong Greg, but for some reason I remember "morale" being pretty different also.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:12 pm »
That's correct, yes.

In Legions, when a unit has to take a morale check, you roll three red dice, looking for two successes.  If you fail the roll, the unit gains a Disordered marker and does not activate.  Next time it activates, the first thing it must do is roll a morale check; but now that it has failed a check already, now you roll three blue dice, again looking for two successes.  If you fail, the unit gains a second Disordered marker and does not activate.  On the next activation, you get one last chance, but now you're rolling three black dice, looking for two successes.  If that roll is failed, the unit panics and runs off the deployment edge.

It's brutal.  Especially if you're a bad dice roller like me.

Grabula

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:21:30 am »
I ordered the planetfall rulebook!   Waiting for sorylian and/or relthozan before I start buying models but this will give me a month or two to get acquainted with the rules.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 11:16:30 am »
Cool!  But just realize that you're setting yourself up to be the Planetfall rules go-to guy...

I had an idea for our future Planetfall games (I'm assuming that several of us are going to pick it up)...if we play a linked Firestorm/Planetfall game, which I'm sure we will, I think carriers and battleships that carry SRS wings should be allowed to perform the Adama Maneuver.  We can build a house rule for it.

And if you don't know what the Adama Manuever is, you need to stop whatever you're doing right now and Google it.  Quite possibly the most thrilling 60 seconds of sci-fi TV in recorded history.

Grabula

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »
Haha, I don't mind leading the charge on planetfall, though like I said until soryllians or relthoza come out I won't have an army!

I know spartan has said they will be tied together in campaigns - I expect to see campaign books similar to what they have been doing for DW down the road.  They've also stated it's supposed to link up well with their 28mm game related to both FS:A and planetfall!  Frankly I'm a little excited to see both my fav races in 28mm!

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:59 am »
Oh GAWD...  I'm all up for learning and playing but I can't commit to a faction till I see them all, and then I'll probably not get too much.  I really need to finish what I've started with my other games before I take on another. 

Of course I said that before B5Wars...  And Firestorm...  And Dystopian...

Grabula

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »
Haha,  I sympathize.  I'm actually trying to move over and focus most of my limited gaming on spartan games these days so I don't mind jumping in to planetfall. I'll Prob collect both my factions from firestorm in case anyone wants a demo

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »

We had a quick learning game at the Demo Day on Saturday, and I've finished my rules read-through along with a 2nd revisit post-game. Here's Ugly, Bad, and Good , IMHO:

Ugly:
-- Rule book is terrible, a real step-back compared to the new Firestorm book. It was hard even to find where it says that Models moving Flat-out don't get to shoot. (i.e. in a paragraph, not a chart or reference bulet). Index is so much an afterthought, it's near useless.
-- Rules also have contradictory rules all over the place, like the Terror Weapon MAR.
-- STILL no pictures of the actual species troops, out of armor/exo-suits, etc. Is it so much to ask for a color-plate for each main faction showing races and uniforms? Ye Olde FASA games managed that at least.
-- How Woods work for LOS and "occupiable" is awfully unclear, even with the FAQ.
-- Cyberwarfare weapons need work. How they affect multiple-model squadrons is unclear. And the chart needs work - result 6 could be either awesome or useless whether before or after target activation.
-- Besides the lack of even rudimentary ORBATS, its also annoying that clearly colorful weapon systems have NO descriptives whatsoever besides their names and MARs. What's a "Shard Cannon" for instance?

Bad:
-- The whole thing is beta-version, as has been said elsewhere. Many rules, interactions, and ORBAT entries are either completely inpenetrable or don't even work. They really should have taken another 6 months to iron all this out - at this rate, they're going to owe everyone a free PDF of the updated rulebook.
-- However the frack Artillery is suppose to work, versus Sky Drop, versus Target Lock is all hopelessly muddled together. I *think* I've figured it out with the help of the FAQ, but the statement about not using Allied drop markers no has me wondering how RSN even deploys.
-- Nobody's explained the REAR ECHELON MAR properly yet. Does the dropped model not get any activation when it deploys? Are embarked models even allowed to disembark? Because if I have to drop a Relthoza hive-tower and let 8 stands of Infantry sit there inside it for a whole turn like sitting ducks, its a deal-breaker on the whole game.
-- Per FAQ, it seems clear that a Transport cannot drop Infantry into buildings, as that would be a Disembark and Embark in the same Activation. So at some point, Infantry has to sit in the open playing target with no saves. STUPID. Doubly stupid is the notion that you CAN get into a building, but only if fighting the enemy to do so. So... we don't have time to just run in ... but there's time to fight some CQB. Basically, terrain needs a separate rule from Transports.

Good:
-- IF things work the way I think they do ...the drop and artillery mechanics can be really awesome. Since Artillery can kill Infantry in a building with no saves or to hit penalties, its very good they seem limited to once a game. But that can also be sucky if that unit can do little else.
Sky drop seems a very satisfying mechanic, long tem.
-- I like the simplified DR chain, and lack of Crits. This many models on the table needs faster resolution, and I think this provides.
-- I like the differences in Infantry, and the reliance on them to take and hold.
-- Building models are amazing.
-- Almost all the armor models I've seen are amazing. I'm not sure if the initial Helixes contain Infantry Option models (Command, Heavy weapons, etc) - but they *really* need to have that standard in any Infantry pack. Not as much worry for me as I play relthoza, but still.
-- Snafus, bad rules, and confusion aside...the game was FUN. So many tactical and strategic possibilities kept occurring to me.

End point - I want to play MORE!
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader