Author Topic: X-Wing: Destroy the Communications Satellite  (Read 1198 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
X-Wing: Destroy the Communications Satellite
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:02 pm »
Ran an X-Wing scenario with Travis a few weeks ago, in which the Rebels were attempting to destroy an Imperial communications satellite.  For the satellite, I used a piece of the Mir space station on a Dystopian Wars flight stand.

In setting up, the Imperial player placed the satellite in the middle of the board, and then placed four asteroids around it.  None of the asteroids could be within range one of the satellite itself, or of each other.  The satellite started with 4 shield points and 6 hull points.  We then rolled for board edge deployment, like we did in the meeting engagement scenario.  So at game start, the board looked like this:

We stuck with 100-point squads.  The Rebels' goal was to destroy the satellite and get off their deployment edge of the table with at least 50% of their ships.  The Imperials' goal was to defend the satellite and kill at least 50% of the Rebel ships.  We also played with the following house rules:

-the satellite could only be hit with proton torpedoes
-the Rebel ships could double up the number of torpedoes they carried
-the Rebel ships had to have a clear line of sight to the satellite in order to fire (no ships or asteroids in the way)
-if the satellite was still alive after turn 5, the Imperials could roll to bring on reinforcements

It's been about 5 weeks since we ran this scenario, and I've been very busy at work, so the details are a little fuzzy.  The satellite did last until turn 5, but just barely, but I whiffed a few turns' worth of reinforcement rolls.

When Travis killed the satellite, he only had two ships left--a B-wing and a Y-wing, both very slow, and he had a long way to go before he could escape.

I finally got reinforcements on the board--two interceptors--but his Y-wing managed to escape.  I did get the B-Wing, though.

It was a draw--the Rebels killed the satellite, but only escaped with 33% of their ships.  Travis liked the scenario but suggested adding more shields and hull points to the satellite--he got a couple of lucky proton torpedo rolls early on, and stripped all of the shields and most of the hull points off the satellite by the end of turn 3.

But, it was a fun scenario, and a nice change from line-up-and-shoot.  I have to admit, when he killed the satellite and started running for the table edge, the game got pretty exciting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this battle report, and may the Force be with you.

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: X-Wing: Destroy the Communications Satellite
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:58 pm »
Awesome report, thanks for finally getting it up! It sounds like it was a very thematic game. I really like the use of the Mir model as an objective; it seems to fit right in.