Author Topic: Space Gaming Mat  (Read 1343 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Space Gaming Mat
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:21:11 am »
So on a tip from a guy at Gamer's Haven, I gave this little idea a try, and boy oh boy am I happy with the results!

I went to the Hubble Image Gallery (http://hubblesite.org/gallery/) and selected a picture of a nebula that I thought looked cool.  I then went to Banners On The Cheap (http://www.bannersonthecheap.com/), uploaded the image, cropped it, and selected the size I wanted (3'x3').  Waited about a week, and got this in the mail today:

Total cost with shipping was $32.  The banner itself was only $15, but I paid extra to get it here sooner.  I'm very pleased with the result!  The total playing are is actually 3'x3'; the white space around the edge is just a little extra.  It's printed on vinyl, so it should be fairly durable, although it smells a bit like an inflatable swimming pool if you get up very close to it.

A couple of issues, as you can see in the picture above:  it does reflect overhead light, although the light is somewhat diffused.  Also, up close, the image is a little grainy.  But for playing at arm's length on the tabletop, I really don't think these issues are going to matter all that much.

Also, the darker colors (blues and blacks) are actually a bit darker than what you see in these pictures; I guess the iPad camera can't capture all the awesome.

All in all, not a bad investment!  I think I'll troll the image gallery for a few other pics that might make a good space battlefield background.  Now that I have this one to use, I can probably have the others shipped by regular mail, which should drop the total cost to about $20.

I'll post some battle pics after I play next week.

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Space Gaming Mat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »
Great idea,

A lot of times we have to find items to meet our needs that may have never been intended for war-gaming and this is a perfect example of it.  Thanks for sharing Landlubber and passing on the link.

Something else that may peak your interest is this: http://www.joann.com/premium-quilt-fabric-stars-navy/xprd862614/  Its a little more flimsy than the vinyl you have there but can fold up nicely for storage and travel.  Also if you need more of a smooth surface, a vinyl layer and be purchased at the same site and sewn onto the fabric.  Only upside to this solution is that you can get yards at a time, Downside is sewing if you can't do it or the fact that its not a Hubble shot. 

Stitch 
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Space Gaming Mat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:45:32 am »
Stitch,

Thank you for the kind words!  It isn't often that I have bright ideas that actually work out.

I have actually seen that fabric recommended before, but to be honest I haven't worked up the gumption to go into a store called 'Joanne'.  :-[. But I may have a look at some point.  I think Walmart also has some sort of space-themed fabric as well.  I would like to get a couple more space-themed mats--either by getting more Hubble mats, or other means.  Variety is the spice of wargaming!

This weekend, however, I will be hunting for lava rocks, so I can try my hand at making asteroids.  Already looked at Walmart with no luck, so next up will be Home Depot.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama