Author Topic: Space Game 2-Player Sets, and the Lack Thereof  (Read 875 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Space Game 2-Player Sets, and the Lack Thereof
« on: July 11, 2021, 03:54:00 pm »
Hey all! An interesting question was posted on FB that I thought all of you here would like to chew on.

Has anyone else noticed that it seems like there is a lack of 2-player starters for space games at the moment? Besides Star Wars Armada, Dropzone Commander, and Star Trek Attack Wing, I can't think of any that are currently in production. I'm also not aware of any on the horizon, other than the eventual starter for the re-release of Firestorm Armada.

Are there any that I'm missing? And, how big of a problem do you think this is, if at all?

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Re: Space Game 2-Player Sets, and the Lack Thereof
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 02:49:16 pm »
I see two things:

1. Not a lot of space games out at the moment, the trend is elsewhere

2. Some players online feel a two-player boxed set is a "tax" as THEY will only play 1-faction.

Point 1 means that the trend will flex, and space combat games will come back in vogue at some point.  Point 2 is just online silliness and should be ignored.

The two-player starter set is a successful, proven core of wargaming to drive sales. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

sean_68333

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Space Game 2-Player Sets, and the Lack Thereof
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:42:29 pm »
I don't see much of anything other than the Star Wars brand games from Fantasy Flight being played around me.

I'm not sure why, but I think the gaming hotness has shifted away from space fleet games for the moment.  I won't be surprised if they come back at some point.

I don't see it as a problem, just a temporary blip.  I can continue to play the various games I already have.  :)