Author Topic: Battle Report: 100-pt X-Wing Game  (Read 2412 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Battle Report: 100-pt X-Wing Game
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:50 am »
Got a couple games of X-Wing in on Thursday night at Gamer's Haven in Colorado Springs.  Both were 100-point games against the same opponent; I played the Rebels in both games.  Here is the battle report from the second game.

Rebel ships:

Gray Squadron pilot (Y-wing) (4) with Ion Cannon
Rookie pilot (X-wing) (2)
Garven Dreis (X-wing) (6) with R5-K6 astromech
Red Squadron pilot (X-wing) (4) with R5-K6 astromech

Imperial ships:

Darth Vader (TIE Advanced) (9)
Soontir Fel (TIE Interceptor) (9)
Mauler Mithel (TIE Fighter) (7)
Dark Curse (TIE Fighter) (6)

I might have the Imperial pilot rankings wrong, but I think that's correct.  Also, a couple of them carried upgrades, but I cannot remember what they were.

Here was the Rebel set up:

I decided to put some space between my ships (no pun intended) because I'm still learning the maneuver templates, and I was getting tired of my ships bumping into each other.  I'm also trying to break out of the Dystopian Wars "command distance" mindset.

And here was the Imperial setup:

Turn 1 saw the Rebels start charging across the board...

...while the Imperials passed the time by showing off their superb aerobatic skills:

Before I go any further:  the game board was provided by my opponent, John.  It is a black tri-fold display board that he painted himself.  Gave a nice setting for our games.  He said it was his first attempt--I thought it looked great, and the ships really stand out against the dark background.  Can't wait to see his follow-on projects!

Meanwhile, in the galaxy far, far away....

Turn 2 saw the ships start to move into range of each other, so some jockeying for position occurred.  Here was the end of the Turn 2 movement phase:

And the end of the Turn 2 combat phase:

Soontir Fel got hit with the Y-wing's ion cannon, but it didn't matter, as the Red Squadron X-wing at his 4 o'clock position waxed him with one volley of well-aimed shots.  However, before Soontir died, he blew away ALL of the Y-wing's shields (3).  This would set things up nicely for Mauler Mithel later.

Turn 3 movement saw the X-wings lining up some shots and acquiring target locks, while the TIE fighter pilots reacted to Soontir's untimely demise.  Vader side-slipped past Garven Dreis:

Turn 3 combat saw Dark Curse fall to Garven's laser cannons, and Mauler Mithel was hit by the Y-wing's ion cannon, but managed not to get hit by anything else.  One of the two TIEs also picked 2 hull points off the Y-wing (it starts with 5).

Administrative note:  when hit by the ion cannon, the target ship cannot perform any free actions in the next round, moves in the next round only by using the "straight 1" move template, and recieves 1 face-down damage card. The pilot can still shoot at anything in his firing arc that is in range, and can still evade being shot at.  These effects only last for the round after the ship is hit (except the damage card, which is permanent).

Turn 4 movement:

And turn 4 combat:

Since Mauler Mithel had a higher pilot skill than all of the Rebel pilots, he shot first, even though he could not maneuver due to being under the effects of the ion cannon blast.  But his bare minimum of movement carried him into Range 1 of the offending Y-wing, and he gave it all he had.  Mauler scored 4 hits (3 AD due to the close range, plus Mauler gets 1 additional AD at Range 1); the Y-wing gets only 1 evade die, and his one free movement was spent on something else.  So Mauler had his revenge.  However, as he watched his opponent disintegrate into a rapidly expanding ball of gas and debris, he was obliterated by the Rookie X-wing pilot behind him.

Turn 5 saw one of the Rebel fighters strip the shields off Vader's TIE Advanced, at which point the Sith lord decided that he was needed elsewhere and made the jump to lightspeed.

Administrative note:  we did not realize until nearly the end of the game that John had not been rolling his evade dice when the ion cannon was firing at his ships.  The ion cannon uses 3 attack dice, and only has to score one regular hit in order to be effective.  This may have changed the outcome of the game; however, on both occasions that I used it in this game, I rolled three hits, so he would have had to be very lucky with his evasion rolls to get out of getting hit.  I felt very badly about it.

Some lessons learned:

-TIE fighters and interceptors are fragile.  An X-wing has enough hitting power to grease an undamaged TIE fighter or interceptor with one volley, if the dice rolls work out for the Rebel player and DON'T work out for the Imperial player.  TIEs, on the other hand, cannot kill an undamaged X-wing in one volley; multiple ships firing on the same target might work, if the TIEs can get in close to get the extra attack dice needed.  So I think being the Imperial player is going to be the more challenging of the two factions.

-Y-wings cannot keep up with X-wings.  The fastest they can fly is a "straight 4", and this is a red maneuver for them.  Their only green maneuvers are a "straight 1" or "straight 2".

John was a fun opponent, and weathered my admittedly extremely lucky dice rolls with grace.  Plus, he provided us with a fantastic playing surface.  I look forward to flying against him again!

Thanks for reading this battle report.  May the force be with you.

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Battle Report: 100-pt X-Wing Game
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
Looks like it was a lot of fun! That is a really interesting board you were playing on as well. You should post these batreps on the blog  8).

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »
That board is creative.  That's one of the best uses for glitter paint I've seen so far, kudos on it. 
One question, what are the white circle things? Asteroids?  They look painted on.

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »
Stitch, I believe those are supposed to be planets, with smaller planets or moons passing in front of them.  Everything was painted on the board except the asteroid tokens.

Speaking of which, do any of you know of any terrain makers that have decent asteroids?  If I can't find one, I'm probably going to go pick up some rocks, drill holes in them, and use some of my extra DW flying bases to mount them.  I think having three-dimensional asteroids would be cool.  Or I might go to the pet store and look at aquarium rocks...

Ruckdog--I'd post the batrep on the blog, but I don't know how!  :-X. I know you've probably given me directions, but I can't find them.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:19:08 am »
The folks that used the Aerotech side of Battletech used some markers like these:  http://www.litko.net/products/Galaxy-Battle,-Asteroid-Markers.html#.UV0Kh0rd58F

I'm surprised I still had the link.  These markers are a little different, and based for a hex map but should still work with the X-wing game.  Also I've seen lava rocks mounted to flight stands.  Easy and cheap, the results are pretty good lil'paint and a dry-brush and you can have a good variety to work with.  Another benefit is they weight almost nothing, he kept them in a foam tray with his fighters.

Personally I'd go with the rock  8),  I'm heading to work in the morn, I'll see if I can pick some up and have a go with a few.

Stitch
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:24:31 am by Stitch_Reloaded »

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »
Posted up in Modeling Q&A an asteroid solution for you Rebs and Imps to slam into your next sortie.

Stitch

JeffreyHammond

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:41 am »
Got a couple games of X-Wing in on Thursday night at Gamer's Haven in Colorado Springs.  Both were 100-point games against the same opponent; I played the Rebels in both games.  Here is the battle report from the second game.

Rebel ships:

Gray Squadron pilot (Y-wing) (4) with Ion Cannon
Rookie pilot (X-wing) (2)
Garven Dreis (X-wing) (6) with R5-K6 astromech
Red Squadron pilot (X-wing) (4) with R5-K6 astromech

Imperial ships:

Darth Vader (TIE Advanced) (9)
Soontir Fel (TIE Interceptor) (9)
Mauler Mithel (TIE Fighter) (7)
Dark Curse (TIE Fighter) (6)

I might have the led lighting rankings wrong, but I think that's correct.  Also, a couple of them carried upgrades, but I cannot remember what they were.

Here was the Rebel set up:

I decided to put some space between my ships (no pun intended) because I'm still learning the maneuver templates, and I was getting tired of my ships bumping into each other.  I'm also trying to break out of the Dystopian Wars "command distance" mindset.

And here was the Imperial setup:

Turn 1 saw the Rebels start charging across the board...

...while the Imperials passed the time by showing off their superb aerobatic skills:

Before I go any further:  the game board was provided by my opponent, John.  It is a black tri-fold display board that he painted himself.  Gave a nice setting for our games.  He said it was his first attempt--I thought it looked great, and the ships really stand out against the dark background.  Can't wait to see his follow-on projects!

Meanwhile, in the galaxy far, far away....

Turn 2 saw the ships start to move into range of each other, so some jockeying for position occurred.  Here was the end of the Turn 2 movement phase:

And the end of the Turn 2 combat phase:

Soontir Fel got hit with the Y-wing's ion cannon, but it didn't matter, as the Red Squadron X-wing at his 4 o'clock position waxed him with one volley of well-aimed shots.  However, before Soontir died, he blew away ALL of the Y-wing's shields (3).  This would set things up nicely for Mauler Mithel later.

Turn 3 movement saw the X-wings lining up some shots and acquiring target locks, while the TIE fighter pilots reacted to Soontir's untimely demise.  Vader side-slipped past Garven Dreis:

Turn 3 combat saw Dark Curse fall to Garven's laser cannons, and Mauler Mithel was hit by the Y-wing's ion cannon, but managed not to get hit by anything else.  One of the two TIEs also picked 2 hull points off the Y-wing (it starts with 5).

Administrative note:  when hit by the ion cannon, the target ship cannot perform any free actions in the next round, moves in the next round only by using the "straight 1" move template, and recieves 1 face-down damage card. The pilot can still shoot at anything in his firing arc that is in range, and can still evade being shot at.  These effects only last for the round after the ship is hit (except the damage card, which is permanent).

Turn 4 movement:

And turn 4 combat:

Since Mauler Mithel had a higher pilot skill than all of the Rebel pilots, he shot first, even though he could not maneuver due to being under the effects of the ion cannon blast.  But his bare minimum of movement carried him into Range 1 of the offending Y-wing, and he gave it all he had.  Mauler scored 4 hits (3 AD due to the close range, plus Mauler gets 1 additional AD at Range 1); the Y-wing gets only 1 evade die, and his one free movement was spent on something else.  So Mauler had his revenge.  However, as he watched his opponent disintegrate into a rapidly expanding ball of gas and debris, he was obliterated by the Rookie X-wing pilot behind him.

Turn 5 saw one of the Rebel fighters strip the shields off Vader's TIE Advanced, at which point the Sith lord decided that he was needed elsewhere and made the jump to lightspeed.

Administrative note:  we did not realize until nearly the end of the game that John had not been rolling his evade dice when the ion cannon was firing at his ships.  The ion cannon uses 3 attack dice, and only has to score one regular hit in order to be effective.  This may have changed the outcome of the game; however, on both occasions that I used it in this game, I rolled three hits, so he would have had to be very lucky with his evasion rolls to get out of getting hit.  I felt very badly about it.

Some lessons learned:

-TIE fighters and interceptors are fragile.  An X-wing has enough hitting power to grease an undamaged TIE fighter or interceptor with one volley, if the dice rolls work out for the Rebel player and DON'T work out for the Imperial player.  TIEs, on the other hand, cannot kill an undamaged X-wing in one volley; multiple ships firing on the same target might work, if the TIEs can get in close to get the extra attack dice needed.  So I think being the Imperial player is going to be the more challenging of the two factions.

-Y-wings cannot keep up with X-wings.  The fastest they can fly is a "straight 4", and this is a red maneuver for them.  Their only green maneuvers are a "straight 1" or "straight 2".

John was a fun opponent, and weathered my admittedly extremely lucky dice rolls with grace.  Plus, he provided us with a fantastic playing surface.  I look forward to flying against him again!

Thanks for reading this battle report.  May the force be with you.

Awesome looking game man.. I am looking to get similar one so please tell from where I could get the game?Looking forward for quick reply... Thanks:)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:28:05 pm by JeffreyHammond »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:14 am »
Hi Jeff--

Thanks for reading the battle report!  This game is simply called "X-Wing", and it is produced by Fantasy Flight Games.  You can likely find the starter set and extra ships at most any gaming store and maybe even some hobby stores.  I've also seen them in Barnes & Noble bookstores (they have a small games section), and I've heard you can sometimes find it at Target stores.  A word of caution, though--the game is VERY popular, and finding the starter sets and the extra ships can sometimes be difficult.  I think the manufacturer didn't realize how fast the game would take off, and their production process wasn't able to keep up.

I see this is your first post on Man Battlestations.com, so welcome aboard!  When you have time, please go to the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little bit about yourself--general area where you live, gaming interests/experience, that sort of thing.  The members of this forum are pretty well spread out across the U.S. (and I believe we have a few Aussies as well!), and if you live nearby to any of us, we'd be happy to meet you at a local game store for some tabletop combat!

And don't forget to peruse the rest of the site--we have a section for modeling/painting processes and a "showcase" for finished gaming miniatures--there is some truly excellent work displayed there, and I often find it as a inspiration to keep improving my painting and modeling abilities.

Again, welcome, and thanks for taking the time to read my battle report!