Author Topic: Thoughts on Altitude Bands in Space Games  (Read 2379 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Altitude Bands in Space Games
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
Greetings,

After watching too much of a certain type of anime recently, I have been tinkering around with ideas for a quick Mecha combat game similar in scale to X-wing/Silent Death/Aeronautica Imperialis/Battlestar Galactica scale.  About 4-12 models per side.

As I play around in this space, I was thinking about using altitude bands similar to Aeronautica Imperialis and Battlestar Galactica to allow for some wonky maneuvers like you see in Anime.  You know, flying above and around the target and then hitting them with a barrage of infinity missiles as they try to climb out of the killzone....

Anyway, my thoughts were to make a simple 3 band system (as opposed to Aeronautica Imperialis' 9 bands, and BSG's 6 bands) for simplicity.  Probably Low, Middle, and High and attacks to different bands would be restricted by modifiers.  Moving between bands would require movement expenditure and in space have no impacts on speed, atmosphere going up and down would impact speed.  Facing and drift would also be a thing in this game. 

What are your thoughts on this approach?  Does it add anything to the game or is it needless complexity?  Have you played a game like this?  What were your thoughts?         
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Altitude Bands in Space Games
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:19:18 pm »
In your concept, would the models physically change altitude like the starfighters in BSG Starship Battles?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:35:16 am »
No, it would be tracked on an off-table  HUD that will be used to track speed, altitude, ammo, etc. off board.  Info on a HUD is not secret and other players can ask for information off any HUD as needed.   

Since the game will be "generic and model agnostic", it needs as few custom components as possible.  Any custom items will need to be printable.

However, if a player wanted or had mounted models on telescoping stand, that would work fine as well. 

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 02:40:52 am »

That sounds pretty doable, and not too complex.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 12:08:20 am »
Sounds interesting. I was asking about actual altitude change because I feel that is an unused space in wargaming. For several reasons, there just aren’t that many games that take advantage of all that empty space above a standard gaming table.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
My attempts at it in the past have been less than stellar. 

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:29:00 am »
My attempts at it in the past have been less than stellar.

. . . I see what you did there.

And true, several game sin the past did try altitude as a factor in games, though it was done in various ways. . . .

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 04:59:22 pm »
Here is what I have so far......

Choose Maneuvers
Both players simultaneously pick a unique Maneuver and jot it down on the HUD display for the model.  These Maneuvers are kept secret until the model is activated to move. 

Up and Down
In space, altitude doesn’t mean much.  However, in many mediums you see mecha and aircraft coming from weird directions to the main battle and getting the drop on opponent vessels.  To help simulate, this game has three simple levels called Alpha, Beta, and Gamma (A, B, G).  It is fairly easy to move between these planes, but it does need to be tracked on the HUD which level you are in.  It takes 1 movement (2”inches of movement) to move one level up or down, and you can change one level per point of thrust.     

Alternate Movement Phase
Players trade off in the Movement Phase, the player with Initiative chooses who to move first and activates the model.  Pilots with the highest pilot rating must move before pilots with a lower rating.  Once movement is complete, the next player can choose a model to move. 

When a model is chosen to move, do the following:
1.   Choose to change thrust- Update the HUD with the new speed
2.   Move a model as far as their speed rating with 2” equal one speed point
3.   At any time, the model can choose to change altitude bands.  1 Band per Thrust rating of the model for 1 speed.  Update the HUD with the new height and speed.
4.   At any time, the model may rotate their facing 45 degrees per 1 Thrust rating, with no speed cost.
5.   At any time, the model may rotate their direction 45 degrees per 1 Thrust rating, with no speed cost.
6.   At any time, the model may play their maneuver card.  Place the card at directional arrow of the base, and move the unit per the rules for the card, including the distance of the maneuver card. 
7.   Move the model 2” per Speed rating on their HUD until they have use all their movement.     

Facing and Direction of Movement
Models will have a direction of movement, which is pointed out by an arrow on the base.  The direction the arrow is pointing is the direction of movement.  The Model also has a facing.  The direction the model is facing is based on the “front” of the model.  It is possible for a model to move a different direction than the model is facing. 

Thoughts?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 04:01:10 am »

They look clear, simple, and seem to have teh desired game effect at least in my head :)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I am starting to put these together in a more "formal" look.  More to come.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 06:04:31 am »
 Any progress on this project?

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 04:44:35 pm »
Yes, there are draft rules you can try out here:

https://app.box.com/s/4ay4yc3fa0sl8gqjg88c5z5qbmflxxhd

I have made some counters to test the game further, but not actually got it on the table yet.  I have been distracted by other paid projects. 

However, I want to get some Dreampod 9 "With the Lightning" range of suits or some Gundam Gashopons to test them out and for photos in the rulebook.