Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 23200 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
What are you watching?
« on: March 16, 2013, 12:28:58 am »
All right, so all of us have seen the the recent films like Master & Commander along with some classic documentaries like War at Sea.  But I have been watching some documentaries beyond the popular television series "Deadliest Catch" and I just came across this particular one on Netflix tonight and want to share:

DEEP WATER (2006):  (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/)  this documentary covers the first round-the-world solo sailing yacht race of 1968, and when I started watching I explained to my wife that during one of these races a participant just sort of drifted around the Atlantic while claiming to circumnavigate the world.  She almost immediately lost interest and went to bed, but I was very pleased to realize, upon continued viewing, that this was effectively a documentary about Donald Crowhurst, the sailor who indeed drifted around the Atlantic for months on end while attempting to fake a circumnavigation.  Of course, I learned so much more of the story.  And, although there is limited footage of the race (most of the footage involves interviews with friends and family), it's a moving account of a grueling endeavor and, in particular, one man's grave decision between turning back from a voyage he's not prepared to endure or risk a lonely death in the open sea.

Of course, I developed a renewed interest in around-the-world sailing when all the news about teenage girls attempting circumnavigation hit the headlines last year.  Sure, it might not sound so difficult if teenage girls are doing it these days, some might think, but even with the advanced technology of GPS and composite boat hulls, sailing around the world still requires the better part of a year, and anyone attempting that solo deserves a great deal of credit, even in the 21st century.  This film captured a bit of the endeavor for all the participants, especially considering that only ONE of the original NINE entrants actually completed the race.

In my younger days (early twenties), I attempted to spend a long weekend locked in my bathroom with a pound of beef jerky, some homemade "ship's biscuit" and three gallons of water to see if I could endure a full 72 hours of solitary confinement--it was intended as a crude experiment to discover if I had the fortitude to be a single-handed sailor on any sort of long sea voyage.  Unfortunately, I didn't last more than 17 hours before letting myself out to get at the decent food I had in the kitchen proper, frying myself an egg and drinking an ice cold beer before walking around the city block (after my visit to the living history museum at Jamestown, I still can't wrap my head around how the crew of those 17th century ships managed to maintain their sanity while crossing the Atlantic for months and drinking only WARM beer).  I can't even begin to imagine spending something like SEVEN months at sea, alone--and there is no way a 90-minute film can begin to capture any of that experience, but I still recommend DEEP WATER to anyone with an interest in sailing and the limits of human endurance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:31:12 am by MadDrB »

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »
... (after my visit to the living history museum at Jamestown, I still can't wrap my head around how the crew of those 17th century ships managed to maintain their sanity while crossing the Atlantic for months and drinking only WARM beer) ...

Hypothesis 1: People who live in a hot climate want a Cold Beer. People living in a cold climate like warm beverages---even Beer.

Hypothesis 2: Crossing the Atlantic in an unheated wooden ship is a shiveringly cold experience; those 17th century sailors may have wished their Beer was warm, but it was probably below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Fun Fact: Norfolk, Virginia is only 5 minutes of Latitude further North than Algiers. Both cities are between the 36th and 37th parallels.
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
Well, having gone to work on the Norfolk waterfront, I can tell you it gets quite chilly! Sounds like a cool documentary MadDrB. I can't say I would fancy sailing for that long by myself either.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »
Hypothesis 1: People who live in a hot climate want a Cold Beer. People living in a cold climate like warm beverages---even Beer.

Hypothesis 2: Crossing the Atlantic in an unheated wooden ship is a shiveringly cold experience; those 17th century sailors may have wished their Beer was warm, but it was probably below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

You're probably right on both points.  I remember a story by James Joyce about some Irish gentlemen placing their bottles of Guinness on the fireplace mantle to warm up enough for the cork to pop--that certainly is warm beer.  But, still, when I think of drinking something warm in cold weather I prefer a hot mug of coffee--although in a round-the-world sailing voyage I suppose hot coffee would prove as impractical as cold beer.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:31:55 pm »
You're probably right on both points.  I remember a story by James Joyce about some Irish gentlemen placing their bottles of Guinness on the fireplace mantle to warm up enough for the cork to pop--that certainly is warm beer.  But, still, when I think of drinking something warm in cold weather I prefer a hot mug of coffee--although in a round-the-world sailing voyage I suppose hot coffee would prove as impractical as cold beer.

I'd have to say that Guinness is probably the only beer I'd want hot.  I'd take the coffee...unless it's a bit of ol'hot Sake.  ;)

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:31:04 pm »
I'd have to say that Guinness is probably the only beer I'd want hot.  I'd take the coffee...unless it's a bit of ol'hot Sake.  ;)
Stitch

Whenever I flub my long range rocket attack rolls for my Empire of the Blazing Sun DW force, I chalk it up to the rocket officers imbibing too much hot Sake before the commencement of hostilities.  Something equivalent to that good old Dutch Courage, but it throws off one's aim.

In other viewing news, I found and started watching SeaQuest on Netflix streaming--the TV series aired 20 years ago, but I still remember a guest appearance by Mark Hamill in at least one episode.  And I think trained dolphin scouts were involved.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:49:53 pm »
I remember that old show! I never really got into it at the time. How has it stood up over time? As for me, I've been watching Star Trek TNG on Blu-ray. Easily my favorite series from when I grew up, even if the first couple of seasons were a little...rough ;).

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
Did anyone watch that submarine drama show in the Fall, Last Resort?  Not everyday you get naval action during primetime. 

Also, the new Star Trek movie is out now.  I thought it was awesome.   :)
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »
I found Last Resort to be quite boring. They really dragged the beginning out too long. Still it had potential but they axed it last I heard.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:31 am »
Yeah - the decided not to renew it midseason.  So the beginning was slow....and the end was fast haha
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:14 am »
I think The Last Resort was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've seen in a while...as an actual submariner, the whole thing came off as a farce to me.

Can't wait to see the new Star Trek movie, though!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:42 am »
I didn't see Last Resort, Ruckdog, but I feel your pain.  As a former soldier, I usually have to just grin and shake my head when Hollywood does anything Army-related, especially if it's set in current times.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »
I saw the new Star Trek movie. It is definitely an action movie first, a Sci-Fi film second. And somebody needs to coin a new term to replace "Sci-Fi" for films like this. The Science part needs to go away. Far/Future/Techno/Fiction??

No edition of Trek has ever withstood the scrutiny of real physics (but the older material made an attempt to maintain a veneer, albeit a thin veneer, of science and super-physics). This new movie, well it went a parsec or two out of its way to rub your face in the fact that they not only chucked physics out an airlock, they blasted it with phasers and 5 or 6 dozen photon torpedoes after they did so.

So anyone about to view this movie should lock down all analytical sub-routines, quarantine all physics knowledge  in their databanks, and run suspended-disbelief shielding at 110% before entering theatre orbit.
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
I haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but I hope to soon! Thanks for the heads-up Pendrake; that is pretty much what I was expecting based on the previews.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 12:50:37 pm »
I've not seen it yet either, but given how the first one was and the previews for this one, it doesn't sound surprising.

For my part, my measuring stick is "Was I entertained?".  If I can say "yes", then I'm usually satisfied.

A tactic I've been trying here recently is to only watch one preview for any movie I want to see.  I feel like they're giving away WAY too much in the previews.  This bit me in the butt when I saw "Prometheus" last summer--I watched every single trailer that I could find, and when I saw the movie, there really weren't any surprises left!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama