Author Topic: Starfleet: ACTA  (Read 2045 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Starfleet: ACTA
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:47 am »
I picked up this book when it came out, and it seems like a pretty well made game though I haven't had a chance to play it. Has anyone tried it out, or played any of the other ACTA games from Mongoose (either B5 or Noble Armada)? I'm thinking about putting some of the minis on the table and trying my hand at some solitaire games to get a feel for the rules.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Starfleet: ACTA
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:21 am »
B5 was really big with the owner of my old game shop and i sat in on a couple demos but never really got into it because of everything else i had going on. From what i remember it was very similar to battlefleet gothic but more beefed up. The rules seemed well balanced so it should translate pretty well, anything would be better than starfleet battles tho!!
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:52:05 pm »
Ah, yes, SFB. I've never played before, but I've heard it's almost as fun as balancing a checkbook!  ;D

Based on my reading of the rules, I'd say the complexity level of Starfleet ACTA is about on par with that of BFG. Shooting is a bit easier, as there is no worrying about target orientation and there are no tables. On the other hand, the damage system is tad more detailed, with progressive critical damage to certain areas of a ship.

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:01 pm »
Don't dismiss SFB so easily; it's a great game!  But, it is more on the "Seekrieg" level of detail than "War at Sea" - for example. ;)

SWO_Daddy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02:04 pm »
Agreed, SFB can be a lot of fun, if you have the time.  One of those cases where you are trading speed for an amazing level of detail. You can play a fleet of dozen big ships hammering away at each other and literally get down to assigning boarding parties to specific sections of ships. 

Love the game, rarely have the time these days.

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »
Yeah, time is a precious commodity.  I ran a fun SFB campaign for four years, but when it died out, and a lot of the focus went towards ACTA, I just drifted off...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:15:27 pm »
Yeah, sorry to be so dismissive. I guess it is just populer to use SFB as a punching bag of sorts ;). I would honestly be willing to try it if someone were running a demo.