Author Topic: New games  (Read 2266 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
New games
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:24:28 am »
Are there any good alternatives to firestorm out there?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: New games
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:58 pm »
I gave Star Wars Armada a go, but it didn't scratch the itch.

I'm currently dusting off the old Babylon 5 Call to Arms rules and minis for a game this weekend.

I'll also be checking up on Starfleet Call to Arms, see what the latest was there.

I remain mildly curious still on Dropfleet Commander, but it just doesn't feel the same.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »
The only fleet-scale space naval games out right now, that are most likely to be available in stores, are probably Dropfleet Commander and Star Wars Armada. There also isn't much new on the horizon that I'm aware of for fleet-scale space games, with the possible exception of Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles from Ares Games. Ares is releasing the two-player starter set for that game later this month, but they are focusing first on starfighter combat. They have said, however, that they will eventually incorporate capital ships into the game, although how they'll do that remains to be seen.

There's also War Rocket from Hydra Miniatures, which can be played at large fleet-scale but behaves much differently from the games listed above. Also, you pretty much can't find the minis in stores, at least not that I've seen.

Don't forget the numerous "bring your own minis" rulesets out there, like Full Thrust and Star Navy 5150. Andy and I have discussed a few of these on the podcast (we just reviewed Star Navy in the last episode, I think). The play style is much different than Spartan's rules, but I can vouch for Full Thrust being an enjoyable ruleset.

I always found Halo: Fleet Battles to be a much better game than Firestorm Armada (personal preference of mine for the background story), but that's a dead game and is hard to get into if you don't already have the miniatures.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:57:26 am »
Thanks.  I was under the impression dropfleet commander had gone under as well.  Been a while since I've watched BsG, did the Cylons have capital ships?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:37:47 pm »
I was under the impression dropfleet commander had gone under as well.

Nope, fairly healthy from what I hear - they just released Dreadnought IIRC. The D6 Generation Podcast did some recent reviews and a batrep. It's almost enough to get me interested since they use a new mechanic that changes a ship's target profile depending how much emissions they're allowing (i.e. a lot of fire and movement make it easy to see and hit your ship).

I'd love to see that system transposed onto a new Honor Harrington ship game system. The new book has me massively fired up for ship combat, wishing we had a decent system to capture those fleet fights. (And no, Saganami Island Tac Sim is not a decent system... ;-) )

Been a while since I've watched BsG, did the Cylons have capital ships?

Base Stars, in the old and new. Smaller ship classes were hinted at

Draco84oz

• Ensign
  • E = MC....let me get my notepad...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 04:15:45 am »
Thanks.  I was under the impression dropfleet commander had gone under as well.  Been a while since I've watched BsG, did the Cylons have capital ships?

They had a change of management with Troll Trader Gaming taking over, and apparently there was some sort of internal issues immediately after, but they're back releasing stuff now. Dreadnoughts recently, and destroyers not too long ago.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
Actually I think it was TT Combat, not Troll Trader...unless that's the same company? Not sure.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:33:50 am »
I would love to see a fleet sized Honor Harrington book too.  I am just about finished the new book, and it is definitely one of the reasons I'm looking for a new space fleet game. 
Tacitus

Draco84oz

• Ensign
  • E = MC....let me get my notepad...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 04:08:42 am »
I would love to see a fleet sized Honor Harrington book too.  I am just about finished the new book, and it is definitely one of the reasons I'm looking for a new space fleet game.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/140093/Saganami-Island-Tactical-Simulator-Rule-Book

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 01:25:24 pm »

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/140093/Saganami-Island-Tactical-Simulator-Rule-Book

I looked into that when I first started reading the books, and as Dakkar said earlier, it is not a good system.  Dropfleet seems to have a lot to recommend it, and even if the rules prove bad the models will work for full thurst or 5150
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »
  I am just about finished the new book, and it is definitely one of the reasons I'm looking for a new space fleet game.

I just finished the Battle of [spoiler]Hypatia[/spoiler] section, and yeah, its got me fired up (hence resurrecting bab5 for a game this Saturday).
A good HH / Saganami system needs to do just a few simple things, but they require cleverness to execute:

1) Abstract the movement system, forgoing 3D, but allowing for bearing and ship rolling. And the latter is mainly needed for TARGETS, not shooters, to determine where the sidewalls come into play, where hits might occur, etc. Actual Fire Arcs can be abandoned save for fights at Graser ranges.
The #1 point of movement would be to determine a range factor, which in turn yields a "time in flight" factor for launching missile salvos. Range also determines prep time for counter-measures, plus difficulty in real time guidance of missiles (FTL comms or not?). All could yield modifiers for a To Hit per salvo/die.

2) Work out a system for Missile launches and counter-missile strategy that combines resource allocation and risk management both. Then a simple way to execute those mechanics.  A Commander's success should not be measured in how many arcs of their OP ship design they can bring to bear, but more how they manage their missile load quantity into salvos, and at what points in their movement, to maximize target saturation where needed. I.e. Ammo vs range vs flight time vs target attitude vs a sidewall factor. Then maybe add mechanics for a variety of pen-aids vs target ECM. maybe include recon platforms and drones as abstracts for that.

2a) A Graser targeting system that emphasizes their deadliness, as countered only by sidewalls and maneuver. Needed just for very short ranges (Under 4" tabletop?) and use of small craft.

3) Work out a damage system that reflects degradation of launch and counter capabilities, crew loss, and the ever popular crit that dumps a Fusion Bottle ... KABOOM.

As far as models go, everything uses the core Hammerhead design, so you've got an easy basis for a plastic kit. Just vary size by class, and hammerhead bits and/or ship plastic color by Star Nation.

Sounds like a lot, but I feel like a good team could hammer that out in a few weeks.

As a guy who works in actual Missile Defense, a game like this would make me happy beyond words, the Honor IP aside even.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »
That does sound fun Dale. Adds some "science fiction" to the game--kind of what I was getting at in our last podcast episode about electronic and cyber warfare in space naval gaming.

So, write up a ruleset already!  :D