Author Topic: Fantasy Flight's X-Wing  (Read 2051 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Fantasy Flight's X-Wing
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
While I guess this game is stretching the limits of a "naval" game, it is going to include larger ships like the Millennium Falcon and Slave I, so I say it counts!

I got this a few weeks ago, and I just sat down to play a quick solitaire match to see how the game works. I have just gotten through the quickstart rules, but I can already see this is a very fun game. I like the way it handles the maneuverability of the various ships in the game, though the lack of an altitude mechanic was surprising. Looking forward to playing this a little more sometime! Anyone else have this game? MadDrB, I think you have it, don't you?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Flight's X-Wing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:38 am »
Yes, and I ran this with four teens at the last library gaming event.  Very easy to explain in five minutes, and easy for new players.  Also, a great "filler" game without much set-up, and a dogfight can be completed in 20 minutes.  Also, I like the 8-sided dice!  I've had the desire to create a sailing naval game with 16-sided dice, for each point on the compass, so I have a soft spot for games systems using something other than the classic D6.  Also, the "point" system works well enough, and it all adds up to feel like a miniatures tabletop game.

The Game Vault is actually running a tournament event for X-Wing today, November 10th, and there will be demo games next weekend.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:37:44 am »
Neat! I think the fact that this game is based on the Star Wars IP will really help it do well. I've heard they are actually selling it at Target, of all places. I'm really looking forward to where they take this game in the future.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:41:46 am »
Yes, there is actually a "non-Hasbro" section of games in Target these days.  They are also selling Rune Age and Ticket to Ride along with Settlers (of course).  Fantasy Flight seems to be on the right track to developing games which feature mechanics tabletop gamers like with a mainstream style.  Let's hope they don't make financial miscalculations and end up selling out to Hasbro....

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:22:58 am »
I heard that the second wave (the Falcon, Slave 1, A-Wing, etc) got pushed to next year. Bummer! I'm sure they will be very nice when they come out, though. I'm looking forward to seeing just how big they push things for this game. I'm also thinking it would be really cool to have themed boards, like a Death Star trench or even the "city" that forms the upper superstructure of the Super Star Destroyer. The old Rogue Squadron games for the N64 and the Gamecube could be a valuable source of inspiration for this game!

SWO_Daddy

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »
The second wave is out, and the A-Wing and Tie-Int are flying off the shelves.  Just got into the game myself.  Just read the rules today.  Love the game mechanic (in part for its simplicity), love the models.  Can't wait to play it!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:36:30 am »
Yeah, I saw the MF and the Slave I on the shelf at a local store today. They look pretty! I'm going to have to put them on my birthday list for sure.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 11:16:36 pm »
Good ol' Battlefoam:

http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit.html

For those of you who tend to be slightly OCD (like me) and love having custom-formed foam trays for your individual ships (like me).
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »
I got my set a couple of weeks ago! I should get some pics up on the blog...