Author Topic: Firestorm Invasion  (Read 2903 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Firestorm Invasion
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »
So, after almost two years, Firestorm Invasion has finally surfaced! It is available for pre-order on Spartan's new mailorder only service:

http://www.studiosparta.co.uk/category_s/1831.htm

I'm still rather excited about this game, especially if it maintains the ability to link games of Firestorm Armada to ground games of FI. I've got some mixed feelings on the fact that it is a mailorder only game; I was really hoping that a big in-store release would help generate some excitement for FA again. Still, I am definitely going to pick these rules up and see how they read!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Firestorm Invasion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »
I just took a look at the Firestorm Invasion models on Studio Sparta's page.  I think they look pretty cool, and the modeler in me definitely wants to pick a few up. Especially that Shikra Assault gunship!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:17:59 am »
Hey, Spartan has posted the basic rules for Planetfall on their Studio website:

http://www.studiosparta.co.uk/v/vspfiles/templates/caliber/images/FI_Planetfall_Rules_PDF_web.pdf

Free to download this PDF.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:10:16 am »
And my models are on the way from studio Sparta! To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm going to go about covering this on the blog; this game isn't strictly naval after all ;).

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:37:28 am »
I think you can make it stretch:  the tactical premise of Firestorm, like many space conflict genres, involves fleets of big ships battling for orbital supremacy around a key planet; after the space battle is won, then ground forces drop down to secure the planet.  Planetfall is really just a massive scale boarding action where you send in the marines to take control of the port, etc.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:06 am »
So, I got my FI stuff safe and sound! Unboxing pics are up on the blog:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2012/09/18/invaders-invasions/

MadDrB had a question about the cards...did you mean the unit stat card or the STAR cards?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »
STAR cards:  in the rules there is a reference to spending Command Points to play STAR cards.  Other than a CP number, like the microscopes on DW STAR cards, is there anything different about these?  Also, are there separate cards for Reserve Decks?

Ruckdog, you mention the Terran aircraft is your favorite model of the bunch.  Do you generally prefer the design of the Terran faction?  I must admit that my Renegade Legions nostalgia was scratched with those Dindrenzi grav tanks--I just want a swarm of those!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:32:03 am by MadDrB »

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:31 am »
This is the sort of thing I really like about this new system:

"Flat Out Move Action
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:46:23 am by MadDrB »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:27 am »
Neat! I admit, I've not had a chance to read the rules thoroughly yet. Been playing too much World of Tanks lately  ;D.

Anyway, to answer your questions about the cards: The CP cost ranges from 0 to 3 on these. I'm not sure what Reserve Decks are, but both the Terrans and the Dindrenzi came with the same 26 cards. There seems to be at most 2 cards of any one type. As for their effects, I would say that they are more in line with the FA deck than they are with the DW deck; there aren't any "screw your opponent" type cards that force the other player to discard part or all of your hand, etc. The effects seem to be generally similar; buffs to speed, offense, or defense, that sort of thing. Although, these cards have been tweaked to incorporate the new dice color and quality mechanics from the FI rules.

As for aesthetics, I have to say that overall I'm a bigger fan of the Terrans myself; I'm a sucker for big tanks, and the 9 included in the Terran box, along with that sweet gunship, were enough to seal the deal for me ;). Plus, the Terrans are my favorite FA fleet, so they had that going for them as well!

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:15 pm »
I haven't actually played yet, but I love everything about what I've read; in fact, this seems like the rules which put the Spartan Games system from my preferred game to my all-time favorite.

And I definitely prefer the look of the Dindrenzi, so when you're back in the area, Ruckdog, we'll definitely play a match!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »
Just go my dead-tree version of the rules in the mail today. Now I really have no excuse for learning the game  ;D. Actually, I got two copies, one for each kickstart box. If you are interested, Aaron, I have no trouble passing along one of them to you.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »
I love these rules!  In fact, I've been knocking about some ways to incorporate the black/blue/red dice into Uncharted Seas with crack "Limey" crews battling those Elven "Froglegs" and I really like the Command Points integrated into doing extra things like firing at long range, extra movement, etc.