Author Topic: Way Forward? Genghis 2017?  (Read 4509 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Way Forward? Genghis 2017?
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:29:01 pm »
Hey locals,

Any ideas on what to do to keep Firestorm (And Planetfall) from vanishing altogether around here?

I was considering an event at Genghis Con, but it can't get much smaller turnout that the past few and still be worth it. Asking folks to pay $25 or $45 for a Con badge for one event doesn't seem like a good recipe. Running multiple Spartan events wont work, casue most Spartan folks around here seem to play only one of the games.

-Dale
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Way Forward? Genghis 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:37:53 pm »
In my opinion the best way to get additional interest is to design a large, possibly multi-table, Firestorm and Planetfall event. That could get some interest beyond the normal Firestorm players. We could run a game where Fleets need to get into orbit of planets to confer buffs/orbital effects/reserves and the planetfall games could provide buffs/surface to orbit attacks.

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:49 pm »
I'm all for an multi table event, and I will support the PlanetFall part if you put it together.  We actually had several people show up for the PlanetFall event at the Haven last summer.  I suspect that the high price tag of Genghis is the barrier.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:35 pm »
In my opinion the best way to get additional interest is to design a large, possibly multi-table, Firestorm and Planetfall event. That could get some interest beyond the normal Firestorm players. We could run a game where Fleets need to get into orbit of planets to confer buffs/orbital effects/reserves and the planetfall games could provide buffs/surface to orbit attacks.

Just the inspiration I was looking for. I'll put something together and submit ASAP. I just need to figure when the Deep Wars event is, and schedule around that.

I'll build it as teams, so folks can recruit allies from the other game they don't play. :-)

And I can use refinements learned from the 2-table DW event from Tacticon, plus the last Spartan day at the Haven. I don't think the official Spartan planet assault stuff works, but there's plenty of simple ways to represent.

Working title: "We can ill-afford Another Dramos"

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:26:21 pm »
Other ideas:

-- HFB and HDF combined event in the same mold. Greg, would you help support that?

-- Mars Strikes Back! A DW "Pearl Harbor" scenario versus the Martians.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:13 pm »
Something like this might really catch some more interest.

Let me know if you need any ideas. There are some great things we could do.

I think any of the games would bring players.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
Not sure if I'm going to the con yet. Will get back to you.

Full disclosure--I had a much longer reply in this space that I posted up a few hours ago, but after further consideration I felt it was too whiny and veered too far off-topic, so I replaced it with this post.

I don't want any of these games to vanish either. Playing them at a venue like Genghis Con certainly can't hurt, although I think we also need to get back to a regular games day like we were doing earlier in 2016--although I know that can be hard with all the various things competing for everyone's time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:55:46 am by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:25 am »
I don't want any of these games to vanish either. Playing them at a venue like Genghis Con certainly can't hurt, although I think we also need to get back to a regular games day like we were doing earlier in 2016--although I know that can be hard with all the various things competing for everyone's time.

I had seriously considered a complete "Con-Alternative" of us playing a day of Spartan Only events. But that tends to feel limited, one big game then most folks peel off. Whereas Con events expand to fill all available time and space :-)
Plus its better to support and establish yourself at local Cons in the long run, so I persist.

Let me know though as you'd be essential for any HALO event.

As for the monthlies, I think we can make a goal for a Spartan Day in March.
I've seen rumors that while GW is brining back Adeptus Titanicus, there will be NO Epic 40K redux. They see it as competing with 40K.
So maybe a day of Planetfall and HALO Dirt Fight...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:16:11 am by Dalek Unz »

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:28:38 am »
I think the Con is a bit different then our private meet-ups.
Yes, we could do this on our own without paying fees, however I don't think that we would. A con will bring everyone together for multiple games with multiple tables on mulitple days. If we schedule it ourselves we have to work around everyone's real life, we have to find a place and a time, we might have people leaving early, and it might be 6 months before we get around to the other games.
I think Dale's head is in the right place. This is a great venue to do something like this. I think the idea to do big spectacle games is a good one. The tournaments are fun, but we still don't get the turnout that we would like. This way if nobody else shows up we at least are playing a really cool game together and not just a normal everyday game.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 01:04:52 am »
You guys make a convincing argument. But if I'm going to pay $45 for a weekend badge, I want to roll dice until I pass out.

Dale, what assistance would you need from me for Halo? We could do a connected Fleet Battles/Dirt Fight game where the UNSC are trying to destroy a surface-based Covenant planetary defense gun that is firing on UNSC ships on the Fleet Battles table. We'd have to house rule how the gun works--maybe one shot every 5 (real time) minutes, or something like that, and we'd have to come up with an AD value for the shot. This is the gun:

http://deathraydesigns.com/product/necropolis-gun-platform/

I have it all assembled, but only half-painted, although I could finish it up before the con if needed.

I would certainly be interested in playing Fleet Battles and Dirt Fight at the con, as well as Dystopian Wars. I will also likely sign up for the DeepWars event on Sunday morning. I could play some Firestorm Armada as well, but I'm more interested in the other games I listed. Plus, of course, any pick-up games of X-Wing, or even a round of the Firefly boardgame or Star Trek Ascendancy if we get tired of playing miniatures games (I got the Firefly Blue Sun expansion for Christmas). The venue is only about a 15 minute drive from my house, so I'd be able to game pretty much anytime during the con except Thursday night. I'll plan to take that Friday off.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:42:53 am »
I think we should hit it pretty hard and really try to represent Spartan games. Is it feasible to register all three games?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:47 pm »
Dale, what assistance would you need from me for Halo?

Could you help run the event on Saturday evening? Or would Friday daytime be better? Once you confirm, or by Tuesday, I'll register all events.
I don't have any Dirt Fight, nor do I know the rules, so I especially need some backfill there.

We could do a connected Fleet Battles/Dirt Fight game where the UNSC are trying to destroy a surface-based Covenant planetary defense gun that is firing on UNSC ships on the Fleet Battles table. We'd have to house rule how the gun works--maybe one shot every 5 (real time) minutes, or something like that, and we'd have to come up with an AD value for the shot. This is the gun:
http://deathraydesigns.com/product/necropolis-gun-platform/

Love this ... I'm put in mind of the BSG classic, GUN ON ICE PLANET ZERO - so I'll crib the name ;-)

I would certainly be interested in playing Fleet Battles and Dirt Fight at the con, as well as Dystopian Wars. I will also likely sign up for the DeepWars event on Sunday morning. I could play some Firestorm Armada as well, but I'm more interested in the other games I listed. Plus, of course, any pick-up games of X-Wing, or even a round of the Firefly boardgame or Star Trek Ascendancy if we get tired of playing miniatures games (I got the Firefly Blue Sun expansion for Christmas). The venue is only about a 15 minute drive from my house, so I'd be able to game pretty much anytime during the con except Thursday night. I'll plan to take that Friday off.

I think The Firestorm/Planetfall gets pride of place for Primetime Saturday daytime. My gut says to do Dystopian on Friday daytime, and HALO on Sat night (since its faster).
I too am doing DeepWars on Sunday.
Cramming in Firefly and Ascendancy somewhere? Absolutely! Friday night maybe?
I'm even tempted to go up Thurs night for Cthulhu Wars.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:23 pm »
Is it feasible to register all three games?

That's my plan - see above. I started event planning tonight, I'll finish by Tuesday.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 12:01:50 am »
The schedule sounds pretty good to me. It'll be a good weekend for gaming.

I have some thoughts on the Halo event. Let me know if you want any input.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 08:54:11 am »
I have some thoughts on the Halo event. Let me know if you want any input.

Please, drop any advice here or IM!