Author Topic: Kurse You Kickstarter  (Read 19705 times)

BrdingPrty1

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kurse You Kickstarter
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 02:57:27 am »
The 13K/GBP stretch goal was kinda a joke..IMHO. 5 dice for 5GBP/$6.60?

The 14K/GBP stretch goal seems to be another "spend more for the opportunity to.....spend more" item. If their previous Kick starter is anything to go by, all these ships will be available on their website for the add on price, after the kick starter is over anyway, so why lock up the funds now when I could use the $$ for someHALO/FSAthing else.

@Gregg
Since I started this thread I feel kinda obligated to pledge. I will actually be mirroring QDrw's pledge: Flt Lt level, both Astivar squadrons, Astivar corvette.. but that's it.  I have, however, spent my mini budget  $$for the month so I will probably go in low and upgrade in the pledge mgr.

That being said "the Collector" is a little disappointed in how this is turning out.  >:(  >:(

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:23 pm »
The 13K/GBP stretch goal was kinda a joke..IMHO. 5 dice for 5GBP/$6.60?

The 14K/GBP stretch goal seems to be another "spend more for the opportunity to.....spend more" item. If their previous Kick starter is anything to go by, all these ships will be available on their website for the add on price, after the kick starter is over anyway, so why lock up the funds now when I could use the $$ for someHALO/FSAthing else.

@Gregg
Since I started this thread I feel kinda obligated to pledge. I will actually be mirroring QDrw's pledge: Flt Lt level, both Astivar squadrons, Astivar corvette.. but that's it.  I have, however, spent my mini budget  $$for the month so I will probably go in low and upgrade in the pledge mgr.

That being said "the Collector" is a little disappointed in how this is turning out.  >:(  >:(

I too thought the 13k stretchgoal was a little strange. Especially since the 12k stretchgoal got all the Flight Lieutenant backers and above the free corvette. But I'm also not a Kickstarter veteran, so I'm still learning what makes a good campaign (or not a good campaign). This is only the second one I've pledged, the first being the DeepWars Blood Reef expansion. I watched the Dropfleet Commander Kickstarter campaign very closely and almost jumped in, but didn't. But even I know that campaign was not the norm--they raised almost a million dollars for that game.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting for my money for Shattered Void. I still think it's cheaper than X-Wing. And since I already have scenery, mats, etc that I can use for Shattered Void, I won't have to worry about going out to buy those items, which again in my mind makes it a cheaper game (for me, anyway). As opposed to Halo: Ground Command; I don't play any other ground games at that scale, so I'll have to buy scenery, mats, etc for that, making my initial buy-in more expensive than picking up another starfighter game.

Well, that makes four of us in this area with at least 7 squadrons of ships covering all three races, and we'll likely also have at least the EEF and Astivar corvettes. Since the estimated shipping date is December, maybe we should plan a Shattered Void games day sometime in January after we've all had time to put our ships together and get some basic paint on them. I know Quickdraw and I both have plenty of space terrain, so that wouldn't be an issue.

What do you guys think?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »
Well, it looks like they've added another update. But...this one doesn't have any spaceships...
I'm happy with what I've pledged so far, but it doesn't look like we will be getting anything else fun before the end of the campaign.

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »
I'm down for a games day when the stuff ships.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2016, 11:44:46 pm »
Well, it looks like they've added another update. But...this one doesn't have any spaceships...
I'm happy with what I've pledged so far, but it doesn't look like we will be getting anything else fun before the end of the campaign.

Yeah. REALLY curious about that next stretchgoal. I understand that they have another game out there, but...some sort of unlock/freebie for the starfighter game (which, ya know, is the whole point of this Kickstarter campaign) might have helped actually get them to that next stretchgoal. As someone who is not familiar with the company or their other product, I could really care less about models for their other game--what drew me in was the starfighter combat. So why should I increase my pledge or try to rally other people to pledge when the next several stretchgoals aren't really inspiring and in some cases don't even have a connection to the game I originally pledged for?

As I said earlier, I'm no Kickstarter veteran. But this campaign seems a little haphazard. It almost seems like they're relying on the few people who have seen this game and have picked up models here and there at Salute or wherever to bring it across the finish line. Not really a good business model for bringing in new players. Maybe they didn't expect to succeed, or maybe they just don't have enough other stuff for the universe to make more stretchgoals. Not sure.

I certainly don't regret backing the campaign, I just really am curious about some of their decisions. Would have been nice to see a fourth faction as a stretchgoal--even if it was just a basic fighter squadron. Or maybe some cool KS-exclusive miniature, or some KS-exclusive artwork for the game, or something along those lines.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2016, 03:23:02 pm »
Well that's the end of that kickstarter campaign.
Nothing else groundbreaking came up, but I'm definitely happy with my pledge overall. We'll just have to keep an eye on anything else after the pledge manager gets going.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
As am I. I think it's going to be fun, and I see myself probably getting more ships once they're available through retail.

Quickdraw, we'll have to see if we can adapt some of the X-Wing scenarios to Shattered Void. We also have plenty of time to come up with new ones.

BrdingPrty, when we get together for our Shattered Void game day in January, we'll expect you to be there with your ships at least assembled since you got us all into this mess.  :D

I guess I'm the only one who went with the Vitruvians?

BrdingPrty1

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2016, 10:23:26 pm »

Yeah, I'm in too. The last stretch goals were weak IMO. It seems that they just did not want to offer ANY freebies, especially ships, very disappointing.  >:(

My pledge is mirroring QDrw's, Astivar all the way.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 12:00:12 am »
If anyone is interested, the Hub Systems Podcast devoted their latest episode to Shattered Void and did an interview with the game designers. I listened to it today, it's pretty good, and they drop a few tidbits about the future of the game that weren't discussed on the Kickstarter page. The episode was recorded about a week before the KS campaign ended.

You can find the Hub Systems Podcast on iTunes, or here:

http://mannmomo.blogspot.com/

The discussion of Shattered Void starts around the 1 hour 22 minute mark.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »
I just listened to the episode. Interesting to hear that neither of these guys play X-Wing. Also interesting that they conceived of the idea before X-Wing started, so they truly did think they were filling a void in the market (pun intended).
It's cool to hear some of the inspirations they took for their game and see those in the rules. He said he is a big fan of Infinity and Aeronautica Imperialis. We can see both of those in the dice rolling combat mechanic and the maneuvering mechanic.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2016, 10:17:17 pm »
Yeah, and the damage mechanic from EVE online.

They need to hurry up and get the pledge manager out to people! The Kickstart closed almost two weeks ago!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 12:33:19 am »
Just FYI, I contacted White Dragon Miniatures because I was curious about when the pledge manager would come out. I heard back from them this morning, they said it would be out by the end of the week. Not sure when they're talking about, but I guess it'll be soon.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 12:41:59 am »
OK, the pledge manager is FINALLY out.

For review/coordination purposes, here's what I'm selecting:

1 Vitruvian fighter squadron
1 EEF fighter squadron
1 EEF heavy fighter (Draconus)
1 EEF Hydra corvette
Orange dice
1 EEF Jaguar light gunship
1 Vitruvian Karsyn stealth hunter
1 pack of 10 stat trackers

Been awhile since I looked at the ship designs, forgot how much I like them. Really can't wait to get these! Let's definitely pick a day in January when we can all get together with our ships and get some games in. Quickdraw, three of the four of us live in Denver, so you'll probably have to come up here.  :D

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 06:13:47 pm »
I filled mine out. I went all Astivar. Both squadrons, the heavy fighter, and the corvette.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »
Cool. I think we'll have a good selection of ships. I emailed the guys at WDM, they said they should have ships up on their webstore for sale after all the Kickstarter backers' orders have been fulfilled.