Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33177 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 04:53:29 pm »
Finished On Basilisk Station. I forgot about the nail-biter ending. Have moved on to an ancient history book, but I can't wait to sink my teeth into the next Harrington novel!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 10:18:48 am »
Ah, wish I could go back and read the Harrington books for the first time!

FYI - there's a whole comic book series out there from IMAGE titled TALES OF HONOR. Somehow I missed the first series, so I need to get the trades or back-order.

I started on THE SCIENCE OF INTERSTELLAR by Kip Thorne. Fantastic so far! And good regardless of how you liked the movie. AICN has an article series that makes a good companion too - and you get a glimpse of the "Less-Nolan , more hard-sci-fi" movie that might have been. And if you don't know who kip Thorne is, you need to find out.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 11:17:33 am »
I just finished Empire of Ivory (damn you Greg for introducing me to that series!) and am reading the White Scars book for Horus Heresy right now.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
HMS Dragon is a good read, thought you wouldn't like it so I never mentioned it to you before stephan. Been reading that series since the late 2009 I believe.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 05:20:09 pm »
It's great for listening to on my commutes or while running.  I'm just waiting for my next Audible credit to continue the series.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 05:30:28 pm »
New stuff release dates:

-- SEVENSES from Neal Stephenson on May 19th !!!

-- Next EXPANSE novel (NEMESIS GAMES) on June 2nd.
-- AERONAUT'S WINDLASS, Steampunk from Jim Butcher! Not til Sept 29th
-- Absolutely nothing yet on Weber's next Honor book... booo!

With so little new sci-fi this summer, I'm going to have to break down and finally read Cauldron of Ghosts...
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »
New stuff release dates:

-- SEVENSES from Neal Stephenson on May 19th !!!

-- Next EXPANSE novel (NEMESIS GAMES) on June 2nd.
-- AERONAUT'S WINDLASS, Steampunk from Jim Butcher! Not til Sept 29th
-- Absolutely nothing yet on Weber's next Honor book... booo!

With so little new sci-fi this summer, I'm going to have to break down and finally read Cauldron of Ghosts...

Just looked at that steampunk Jim Butcher book.

Can't. Wait.

I'll plug this here again: if you like steampunk fiction, I highly recommend the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. It's four books, and the series is complete. Good stuff.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »
Cool!  I can't wait for the next Expanse book!

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:46 pm »
Anyone read the Frontier Saga by Brown, Ryk?

13 books or Epds out and I like how its going.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 11:05:16 pm »
Anyone read the Frontier Saga by Brown, Ryk?

13 books or Epds out and I like how its going.

I just took a look at this on Amazon, but the descriptions were fairly bland. Can you give us an idea what it's about, without giving away spoilers?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »
I have just gotten myself caught up on the Destroyermen series (definitely recommend it!), and now I'm plunging into the Legend of the Seeker books series by Terry Goodkind. This is sort of out of my usual genre, as its fantasy. However, I got lots of the books for free from a friend!

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15:00 am »
Sure....can do landlubber.

The story is about a earth some thousand of years from now, time table is  around 3400 ad or so. In 2400 after humanity had been spreading amongst the stars they had a plague that spread via cyborgnic and biological systems, meaning you could get sick from the virus spreading over your implants or by normal flu like way. You could not stop it as 99% of the population had implants. Thus caused a insteller plague, billions dying, more fleeing in every direction away from the core worlds.

This meant that the Tech level on most places  dropped in the feudal ages or even lower. On earth they had to start all over again. Then about 3300 or so on earth they discovered an ark that was sealed before the virus could containate the computer database, this database had all the Tech that was lost. So the Earth begins to rebuild.

As they built ships they found out that an empire of humans known as the Jung had beaten them to outerspace and taken over 99% of the core worlds leaving earth surrounded. Now in this world FTL is used, meaning its not warpspeed and it takes a while to travel between systems. 6 months for a trip to the nearest star.

Now introduce the Aurora and her crew of fresh from the academy junior officers and Grizzled senior officers. They are a new ship who go on a secret mission to test a new drive system. During the test they find themselves ambushed by 3 Jung Gunships. An explosion of antimatter occurs after they destory a jung ship and find themselves propelled to 1000 light years away in unknown space, fighting another battle against another human empire......

When can they get home if ever. Its only a matter of time before the jung take over earth.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »
Ulric, thanks for that run down. Looks like something I might want to check out at some point.

I'm currently about 150 pages into "Empire of Ivory", the fourth book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. It's been about three years since I read the last one, and I forgot how much I enjoy this series. The last book of the series is due out later this year or early next year, so I need to catch up!

Also, I saw the first preview for the movie "The Martian" today. Been meaning to read the book (it came out last year); the movie looks like it's going to be great, so I need to get that knocked out before it's in theaters. Geeez, so many books to read, so little time...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »
Just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir.

Holy cow. It was a 370-page book, and I read it in three days. Two of those were work days. I started it Sunday, and finished it today.

Highly recommended.

Plus, they've made a movie out of it and it's coming out in October, so I wanted to read it before the movie is out.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 12:11:38 am »
Just finished book 2 Lost Fleet: Into the Darkness.

Great read. Recommend the book series to anyone, its by raymond Weil.

The first book is The Slaver War:Moon Wreck, which is about a group of astronaunts revisiting the moon after a long absence to find a crashed ship on the moon. Inside the ship they discover that Humanity is not as alone in the galaxy, nor is the future safe. The war long forgotten is dropped in Humanities lap once more.