Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33189 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »
Hee hee, I guess I've been ignoring this thread too.

Let's see...I just finished "Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson" by S.C. Gwynne, an awesome biographical piece about the ACW general's life and military career.

I've also recently read the first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not much of a Fantasy guy, but I found those two books pretty interesting.

I also got a couple of new Osprey books for Christmas (US Dreadnoughts 1914-1945, and British Dreadnoughts 1914-1918) that I'm going to be digging into shortly!

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:56 pm »
Reading Empires at War Series by Doug Danridge. Its a great series, and a bit different then the Galaxy Unknown Series. Galaxy Unknown was a better version of Honor Herrington for me, though I may now be shot and quartered while still suffering from a bullet in the gut by legions of loyal fans for Honor Harrington folks.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »
I'm "listening" mostly right now since finding Audible.  Works a lot better on the commute.  I'm on book 3 of the Ark Royal series.  I don't think it qualifies as fine prose, but I'm enjoying the story arc.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 03:27:03 pm »
Arcroyal by Christopher Nutall? 

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 04:02:41 pm »
yep.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 04:56:38 pm »
Reading Empires at War Series by Doug Danridge. Its a great series, and a bit different then the Galaxy Unknown Series. Galaxy Unknown was a better version of Honor Herrington for me, though I may now be shot and quartered while still suffering from a bullet in the gut by legions of loyal fans for Honor Harrington folks.

Hardly! As big of an HH fan as I am, even I am willing to admit there are some weaknesses with it, and there is no denying that the series has lost momentum in the last few books. I'm going to have to look into both of them, they sound interesting!

I'm "listening" mostly right now since finding Audible.  Works a lot better on the commute.  I'm on book 3 of the Ark Royal series.  I don't think it qualifies as fine prose, but I'm enjoying the story arc.

I'm still mostly "reading" via audible as well. I've started in on the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. It's a pretty neat alternate-history story of a WWII destroyer that gets transported to a parallel world where the Dinosaurs never died out!

http://www.taylorandersonauthor.com/

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 11:12:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing those, Stephan and Ulric, I'll have to check them out. Ruckdog, one of the guys I game with at Gamer's Haven is a big fan of the Destroyermen series. Will be interested to hear your opinion of them.

I'm about a hundred pages into Blood Pact, the twelfth book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Big fan of that series. For 40k fluff, I've always preferred stories about the Imperial Guard--maybe because I was in the Army myself. Space Marines are cool, but there's just too much chainsword-swinging-on-top-of-mountains-of-dead-orks-while-praising-the-Emperor in Space Marine stories. I like that the Guard are more vulnerable, and more...well, human.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
Let me know how it is Stephan.

As for 40K stuff I have read Blood Pact and it was better then the last 4 books for me. A little bit of Humanization for Gaunt. Also for Space Marines I enjoy the Space Wolf stuff. Much less 'PRaise the Emperor" and more "I am a bad ass Viking."

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »
I'm getting deeper into ARK ROYAL now, and its pretty entertaining for straightforward, no frills, military sci-fi. Very BSG vibe. Just got into the first real battle scene, and then today I read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/02/05/us-navys-new-star-wars-style-railgun-hits-mach-6/?intcmp=features

Some days, I wish I'd gone Navy instead of Air Force.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 12:37:32 am »
I'm getting deeper into ARK ROYAL now, and its pretty entertaining for straightforward, no frills, military sci-fi. Very BSG vibe. Just got into the first real battle scene, and then today I read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/02/05/us-navys-new-star-wars-style-railgun-hits-mach-6/?intcmp=features

Some days, I wish I'd gone Navy instead of Air Force.

Yeah, I saw that story the other day as well. We live in an age when we are seeing things come to life that we have only known in video/computer games or science fiction.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 01:51:06 pm »
ARK ROYAL is actively annoying me now. The author's descriptions of battle scenes, the way he relays hits, pseudo ship positions, etc seems entirely plot driven rather than suspending disbelief.
For example:

-- In one sequence, the grav 'tramlines' they use to jump between systems are minutes apart in a system; in the next they're hours apart. Even in the same runing battle, it seems liike the distance to the tramline changes based on getting the ship away or not. In another chase, they're about to be overtaken "less than halfway there", but after blowing up two enemy ships, the main pursuing battlecruiser (said to be fastest of the enemy) can't even make main-weapons range in time. Its like the author though blowing up two ships would somehow slow a 3rd ship down?

-- One fleet is being chased by another. Despite all evidence indicating the primary mass drivers fire forward, and that there's no turrets, somehow they're firing at the pursuers the whole way.

-- One side's fighters will overwhelm a frigate, then are described as backing off then swarming the next frigate, but somehow the enemy covering fighters are 'too far away' to respond.

-- Similarly, the author describes a line of enemy ships as closing fast, they take a few hits, then they're described as "backing off" out of range, as if they suddenly hit perfect reverse like a person backpedaling.

-- Plasma weapons of one side are described as firing "at the speed of light" in one chapter. Not long later, a fighter is described as "flying right into a plasma bolt, not having time to realize his mistake". If they shoot at the speed of light, there's no "mistake"  - you're hit or you're not!

-- Giant enemy ships are described as evading mass driver shots, and enemy fighters are described as intercepting mass-driver shots. Unless those are the slowest Mass-drivers ever made, such reaction times shoudln't be possible. Point-defense barrages could work as sometimes described, but not delibarate dodging or counter-fire!

This may all seem quibbly, but the collective effect is one of constant annoyance and confusion.
When I'm reading Weber's Honor Harrington books, I feel like there's a map of the action in my head, and I know exactly what is happening and why. In ARK ROYAL, its all a confusing mish mash like he keeps changing ship positions willy-nilly, and keeps changing his "rules" as suits the story. It's gotten incredibly frustrating, and I'm only continuing because of some intruiging mysteries surrounding the aliens.

It doesn't help either that the audiobook reader has only about 3 male voices to rotate through, making characters blend into one another. And his only female voice he uses seems permanently set on "simpering idiot". Or maybe thats just the writing too...

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 03:00:25 pm »
Sorry you're not enjoying it.  I've moved on to Greg's recommendation of His Majesty's Dragon, which so far seems like a blend of listening to one of Weber's Safehold novels and The Guns of August.  I'm enjoying the story however.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:43 pm »
I may double back and do the last Honorverse "spy" novel, or just hope the next Jim Butcher isn't too far away :-)

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »
Dale, I agree with some of your parts. However I am sure with the mass driver shooting captial ships, you forget dale.In space I can accelerate in one direction and then pitch over, head over heels to speak, firing at the enemy approaching me from the rear.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 10:45:13 am »
Just finished The Dardanelles Disaster by Dan Van der Vat. Since it's a World War I book, I will post a review in the book thread in the WWI section.

Am currently about 200 pages into the first Honor Harrington novel, On Basilisk Station. I read this book several years ago and enjoyed it, but I'm re-reading it so I can be better accepted by the Denver gaming group here (I've mentioned before that I can't truly gain acceptance until I read all the HH novels and watch Babylon 5 in its entirety). Forgot what a good read it is! And, I'm a big fan of the Horatio Hornblower books, so I can certainly see C. S. Forester's influence in Weber's writing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:47:18 am by Landlubber »