Author Topic: A rant.  (Read 1798 times)

treadhead1944

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
A rant.
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
So my local Games Workshop gets into Battlefleet Gothic after a demonstration game. I among others buy the rule book, and a fleet. My fleet is now at 2000 points (with Admiral upgrades and re-rolls). Do you think I can get a game? Hecks to the no. I spend the money on the ships and the rules, and the order dice, spend all the time painting each ship, taking second place in a painting comp with one of them, and no one wants to play!

That said, from what I understand a campaign will be kicking off in July. Hopefully by then I will have been able to get some more games under my belt.

/rant

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: A rant.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:52 am »
Ouch, I feel your pain! I am probably $1,500+ into BFG (including a GW all-metal Tau fleet and a complete collection of the old BFG magazines), but now I'm doing good to squeeze in a game once a year. Getting others to play a game that is outside of their gaming "comfort zone" can be a challenge; the best advice I can offer is to stick with it; keep offering to do demos and games, and who knows? Maybe you will get one or more consistent players.  Good luck with the campaign!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
Check out afterimagedan's blog he's trying to start Internet battles using input from the community on orders fleet lists etc.. It started off pretty strong but has been a challenge lately to get anyone other than me to discuss the tactics for each turn. I think this could turn into a great way for people to get a feel for how others play and maybe pick up a few ideas they would never have considered before.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
I'm looking into starting with BFG now, and compared to my lack of success finding opponents to play Trafalgar then I believe finding even one opponent to play a game of BFG once in a while will be an incredible success.  Of course, my closest experience to actually seeing a game of BFG played is by playing of Dreadfleet (the order cards seem to be similar) and reading a lot of PDF material I downloaded online.  Trafalgar seems to be quite a different game system and even more unpopular on this side of the Atlantic compared to BFG.