Author Topic: Battle Report - Terrans vs Aquans and Their Dirty Allies  (Read 1568 times)

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Battle Report - Terrans vs Aquans and Their Dirty Allies
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:46 am »
Played against Chris last night in my first official trial of a fleet list for Adepticon.  I took:

Hydra = 170 pts
4x Chironex
 - Difficult Target = 240 pts
3x Makalu = 180 pts
4x Sulan = 240 pts
4x Frigates = 80 pts
6x Corvettes = 90 pts

As you can see, it's heavy on cruisers and has no SRS.

I don't have Chris' complete list, but I know he had:
1 Apollo Battleship
1x Palisade Battle Station
3x Artemis Destroyers
3x Defense Platforms
4x Pilgrim Frigates
4x Pilgrim Frigates
4x Missionary Frigates

We played the Hold the Waypoints scenario.

Chris created a bunker behind his waypoint with the Palisade, Destroyers, and Defense Platforms towards his left and deployed the rest of his fleet to his right, facing off against my Chironex, Sulan, and Frigate squadrons.  My waypoint was about center of my deployment zone and I set up my Battleship and the Makalu directly behind it, with the Makalu broadside facing Chris.  My corvettes were placed to zip up on Chris' left to take advantage of a planetoid's grav assist on that side of the table (a move I'd later regret).  The only thing held in reserve were Chris' Missionary Frigates, which didn't get to shunt in until Turn 4.

I'll spare you the play by play.  In short, the Apollo died by the end of Turn 2 thanks to combined Grav, Beam, and Torp salvoes from all three cruiser squadrons.  A lucky crit at the start of Turn 1 which took down the Apollo's PD helped a lot.  From there it was a slog of killing Terran Frigates as the Aquans moved in on the Palisade and Destroyers.  If this had been an actual tourney, the smart move would have been to pull back and camp on my waypoint since I was out of the Effective range of the surviving Terran forces, but I was in a killin' mood.  That gave the Terrans the opportunity to kill a Makalu and reduce both the Sulan and Chironex squadrons to 50%.  Running the corvettes up also exposed them to the fighter wings from the defense platforms, which proceeded to kill a Corvette a turn until they were reduced to below 50%.

Definitely some bad luck for Chris losing the Apollo so quickly.  His usual dice witchery also failed him while mine was in full effect.  A great game overall and Chris made some good suggestions for improving the list.

I believe Chris' impression of the list can be summed up with the following.
<url>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNuqEz_GCQ</url>
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:56:23 pm by Stephan »

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Report - Terrans vs Aquans and Their Dirty Allies
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »
I'd say Chris use Stations and Platforms is inherently cheesy (esp the monstrous Palisade); but you seem to have found the Aquan "Sweet Spot" list of Doom. :-0
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »
Hey now, I just got that station. I had to give it a try.
That list full of mediums was brutal. Having a lot of weapons that don't degrade from damage, plus multiple cruiser squadrons of 4 was a very deadly combination.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 05:20:21 pm »
Yeah, cruiser squadrons of 4 ships really suck. I can't wait to face this list. No, really.  >:(
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »
Hey now, I just got that station. I had to give it a try.

Actually, I hear a lot of folks are trying their stations now, so its a thing. Well, except for Dindrenzi...

I just made a Relthoza list with my Weaver station, and realized I can remove the "No FSD" MAR, so the thing could be shunted into mid-board in the right scenario. VILE!
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader